cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops with WiFi Superpods

Mtsuper
Tuning in

Hi, I’m having issues with intermittent drops in connectivity. Virgin tech support say I should upgrade my broadband package but wanted to check here first. 

ISSUE: intermittent drops in connectivity from devices - mainly iPhones, laptop and Apple TV. Device says it’s connected but cannot browse web pages or experience buffering when streaming. Status of Hub and all Superpods show OK. Can happen at any time of day  

CONFIG: M100 package. Hub 3 router placed on middle floor. Three storey townhouse with 3 Superpods placed on each floor. 
Devices: around 30 clients, mixture of iOS devices, laptop, Amazon and Google smart speakers, 3 Nest cams, Apple TV. Usage is about 30GB per day mainly from Apple TV.

CURRENT STATUS: Tech support are stating I need to upgrade M100 package to at least M350. They are stating that the package is directly linked to the number of concurrent connections, eg M100 supports 6 devices, M200 8-10, M350 12-14, 1Gig 30-35. However, I cannot see the correlation between upgrading the bandwidth and device connectivity if the Hub remains the same. They cannot give me any stats per device, as I thought perhaps it was a single device that was causing the issue. 

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you

14 REPLIES 14

g0akc
Problem sorter

My first reaction is that VM are spinning you a line and trying to up-sell needlessly.

That said, there may be an element of truth depending on your usage.

One thing to try, if you have the skills, patience and time is to run 'device to device' tests (an NAS is good for such but a laptop will do) whereby you stream (test or real) content from one device to another - so you are using the LAN and not using the WAN (outside) connection back to the VM network.

Also, for a setup/environment like you describe, I would be minded to use a good mesh system with the VM hub in modem mode. Additional wireless APs connected via Ethernet cables are an alternative.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As stated by @g0akc   DO NOT upgrade your package until your wifi is sorted.

As for the Pods, they need to be placed in areas where they can all communicate with each other, so check this as well.  Note the wifi strength will drop on each hop, unless they are triband or have an ethernet cabled backhaul.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. I have placed the pods as per best practice from the Plume setup guidelines. 

https://support.plume.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360023821573-Additional-Pod-Placement-Examples

With the VM branded pods, it does not advise connecting them directly to the Hub. They all connect over WiFi. For this reason, I am not convinced I am running them in an optimal configuration as the Hub is still servicing clients.  

g0akc
Problem sorter

The thing around concurrent devices - this should really be around how many users are actively online and how much bandwidth they are using - not about how many devices are in the house but idle.

You might have a lot of IoT/smart devices including smart speakers but they will not be using much bandwidth.  Upgrading to a faster package will do little or nothing for them.

A couple living the house with moderate usage each, and streaming a UHD programme together, is unlikely to be a problem on a 100meg service. If you have a load of teenagers/students/tenants in the house all gaming or streaming HD/UHD content, for example, then it becomes a different matter.

Use any type of 'booster' or 'Superpod' then the reliability of the backhaul is a factor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

I agree, which is why I’m not falling for the VM spiel. 

I’m wondering if my Nest cams could be contributing to the issue? According to Google they can use up to 300GB per month and I have 3 of them. I have reconfigured them to a lower video quality so they use less. 

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9245832?hl=en 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally I'd get rid of the VM wifi and install your own wifi kit.  I'd also put the Hub in modem mode and buy a proper router.  It will be an initial outlay but will save a lot of heartache.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks. What mesh WiFi products would you recommend? Is Nest WiFi any good? Currently have Plume (rebadged VM) and these are meant to be very good, although, not connected via an Ethernet backbone as per the Plume recommended config. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mtsuper wrote:

Thanks. What mesh WiFi products would you recommend? <snip>

A lot of users here plump for Deco M4 as they have a good price/performance point.  Personally I use PoE Access Points, but they need to be cabled and not everyone can be bothered with the initial installation, and the costs are higher.