cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops same time every hour

Willr2020
Joining in

Hi, 

Our Internet cuts out roughly 2 minutes past the hour, every hour of the day. It then takes about 3 minutes for the Internet to come back on. 

Any ideas on how to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Does it drop at the same time on devices connected on ethernet cables? Or is it just wifi ones? If you dont know - can you check?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Does it drop at the same time on devices connected on ethernet cables? Or is it just wifi ones? If you dont know - can you check?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for your reply. 

It appears to happen to both Ethernet and WiFi. I'm not particularly IT savvy but it seems to be the case that the router is resetting itself every hour. 

Anyone know how we can request a new router?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Lets take a look at your connection and see if we can spot what the exact issue is. Can you follow this protocol. You didn't say - but what Hub model is it (printed on its base sticker)?

First switch the Hub off for 5 minutes AND unplug it from the mains. Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect them just to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. Then switch it on again and leave 5 minutes to settle.

Then do a Hub “pinhole reset” - but, make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub, and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press the reset pin on the back in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it there firmly for 60 seconds – release the pin then leave the Hub 5’ to stabilise then see if the issue still persists.

If it does, post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon at top right (if you have an SH1/2) or the text at bottom-middle of first page up (on a Hub3) and then "copy/paste" as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – the 2 pages from the Downstream tab,the 2 from the Upstream tab, & also the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again). You may have to do separate posts - but that's fine.

Also, in the meantime... if you haven’t already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” (as per instructions on the TB website) when you have the first 24h period.

Just go here and follow the instructions on how to set it up and get a "link" - its easy and safe/secure.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------
Good luck.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Such a strange thing, but ours does this too. 42 minutes past the hour every hour our hub resets and takes a couple of minutes to recover.

Tried all the above and it hasn't helped. 

What on earth causes such a thing to happen like clockwork like this? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What do the lights on the Hub do at these hourly intervals?

As you say you have tried all of the above post up the link to the live BQM so we can see the disconnection pattern.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I've set up the BQM. The link is here

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1fa219b1ed1b7de165438bd275ac5f2e68b2c8da

djchrisr
On our wavelength

Looks like the BQM doesn't work with the new hub, sadly. 

Engineer coming 16th Feb which is ages away

Same here, currently 39mins past hour but this changes every couple of weeks. It is causing havoc with working from home as we lose important data every time it happens. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Djflick.

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that you are having issues with your broadband.

I was unable to find your account using your forums details.

Can you tell me if you have checked to see if this is due to an area issue? You can check this on our service status link here

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide