cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops out at midnight several times a week.

Smoak
Joining in

Since I upgraded to 1gig Fiber and a hub 5 I have had nothing but trouble.

Around three minutes to midnight I lose internet connection and it will sometimes keep going off and on for around 10-20 minutes until it finally settles and stabilises. This happens sometimes 3-4 times a week, then it will be okay for a week and then it will happen again.

The network log shows in the hub settings lots of warnings and critical messages.

This only started happening since I upgraded to the 1gig Fiber, before that I never had any problems.

The problem is both my partner and myself are content creators and the vast majority of our work and streaming we do at night, so a stable connection is vital and these constant disconnects are running havoc with our jobs. 

I'm starting to pull my hair out as it's also lost us some money now and having a negative effect. 

If I can't get this fixed I'm even considering going back to BT Fiber as I was with them for years and never had a single issue.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Thats a time when VM often make network changes. Usually only for a few days at a time though - not weeks.

To monitor and keep a record set up a BQM ...

if you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you. I will look into that.

So I've also been having issues with the WIFI, where both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz will drop/cut out and come back on then off for several cycles. Sometimes the 5GHz doesn't come back on at all, even though in the hub settings its say's it's active. I have to unplug the router and leave it powered off for a few minutes and plug it back in before it works fully again.

After having this problem for several weeks I decided to get my own Asus GS-AX3000 router and just use the HUB5 in modem mode. The WIFI is now way more stable with no drop outs.

However I am still having trouble with the HUB5 switching itself off or rebooting at random times in the evening. It happened again tonight at 3am

Here is a screen shot of the network logs

screencapture-192-168-100-1-2022-11-24-03_05_53.png

Hey @Smoak thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the connection 😞
I've had a look on the system and I can see this will require further investigating.

I will send a private message inviting you in to a private chat, watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs