cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops every hour

markied
On our wavelength

Hi there,

My connection to the internet seems to drop every hour. When I check the moden it seems to be rebooting ?  It has been doing this for two days now. I've done all the usual un-plug etc... I've had perfect services for three years. Postcode LU2 0LN 

Any ideas ? Many thanks.

Mark

19 REPLIES 19

markied
On our wavelength

Broadband Quality Monitor

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b8a622c7e1d27779dc5e2696818adbe6f6b3d92b

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
BQM is a wall of red.

Either the i.p. address in the BQM is not the same as the Hub's - just google for i.p. address and then see if its the same as in the BQM settings.
-or-
The Hub/router is not responding to pings. Look in the Hub settings and check...
• Advanced Settings > Advanced > Ping > Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP
(or similar depending on the Hub model)

0800 number ?
is ticked on. Or if you are in modem mode then it will be in your router's settings somewhere

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

markied
On our wavelength

0800 number says there are no issues in my area.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/b8a622c7e1d27779dc5e2696818adbe6f6... 

still doing it as we speak. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Thats dreadful. I will flag for VM to come here and take a look.

One last thing. Do you have any other devices connected to the Hub on ethernet cables? If so disconnect them all for a few hours (overnight?) and see if the BQM "cleans up" duriing that period. If it does, plug them back in one by one until it returns and then you will know where the fault lays. If it doesnt - then only VM can help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

markied
On our wavelength

Hi John

ive managed to get through to VM on the phone this morning. They are sending an engineer out on Thursday. It’s been doing this for over sixty days apparently. 

many thanks for all your help much appreciated. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - while waiting can you try disconnecting any ethernet cable connections overnight and see what happens on the BQM

--------------------
John
--------------------

markied
On our wavelength

It’s in modem mode. So just one cable going to router ASUS RT-AC88U

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ahhhh... Several threads recently have shown the issues were related to a Hub in modem mode and your own router (see one example below.).

So try first by disconnecting any ethernet cable connected devices from the Asus and see if the BQM cleans up. If not you will need to disconnect the Asus and put the Hub back into router mode and see if it cleans up - in which case its the Asus causing the issue.

The Tech will probably do that anyway as they wont want any 3d party equipment connected and need the Hub in router mode.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-connection-dropping/td-p/4781287/p...

--------------------
John
--------------------

Have just a PC to the hub in modem mode (power off for 2mins or copy the MAC of your router to PC) allow ICMP inbound and a new BQM. But likely you have a connect issue.

also try new cat 6 cables

---------------------------------------------------------------

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Markied, 

Thank you for your reply, I am glad you have managed to get a tech booked in, keep us posted with how your visit goes 🙂
Zoie