cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops almost every hour

garrattl96
Joining in

Hello.

For over a year now our internet has been dropping its connection every hour or so, I’ve contacted virgin only to be told that there’s work in my area (which I know isn’t the case as a friend of mine lives next door and has absolutely no issue at all).

We give it a month or so to receive a text saying that work has been completed and all shall be fine only for nothing to have changed at all.

Then call virgin again to rinse and repeat. Honestly at our wits end with this now especially with the cost of our broadband going up to nearly £70.

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First thing is to check first for any “known network faults - Try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

Then are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi

thanks for the response. I have checked online and that says there are no area faults. But when I call into virgin they say there are( surely it wouldn’t take them over a year to fix problems in the area anyway?).

problems happen across Ethernet as well as Wi-Fi, we have the hub 4 and when this happens the solid white light goes to a flashing white light.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What exactly is the 0800 number reporting? Is there a fault number and expected fix date?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The 0800 number just tells me there’s an ongoing issue in the area, doesn’t give me any  numbers or expected date

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you set up quality monitor as below - so we can how it "looks".

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then, click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi there @garrattl96 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you have been facing issues with your service. I have been unable to locate your account via your forum details, so I'm going to pop you a PM so we can exchange some information and I will take a look for you. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you for connecting with me via a PM @garrattl96 

I have taken a look and I can see that there is an outage in your are with a current estimated fix time of March 22nd at 9am. 

Are you able to let us know how things are looking after this time? 

Thank you

I was told this months ago, in fact I’ve been told this every time I’ve been intouch with virgin about the issue. It’s not once been fixed on any date that we have been given 

I just find it incredibly convenient that every time that I contact virgin about the issue, the response is that it will be fixed in a few days only to never be fixed at all. We are just led around in circles over and over again.