cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping connection

LukeMcpherson88
Joining in

Our broadband drops out very regularly, a few times an hour for a few minutes (sometimes longer if the hub reboots itself). 

After two engineer visits, a new hub and new cabling, the situation is no better. This has been an issue for 2 months. If I manage to speak to someone I am told that there is no issue on ‘their end’ and the virgin broadband test online is infuriating. 

Following advice I have set up a thinkbroadband network monitoring app which over the last week shows constant ‘dropped packets’ and constant spikes of ‘high latency’. As a lay person I have no idea what this means but am told it can cause dropped connections. 

Can anyone advice of a possible solution?

thanks

Luke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also - post up your BQM for us to see.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

105 REPLIES 105

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also - post up your BQM for us to see.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks John,

Although I don’t understand a lot of what you said, it is the most comprehensive answer I have received so far. 

I attached the information requested

Router status

Cable Modem StatusItem Status Comments
Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)

Provisioning State

Downstream bonded channelsChannel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID
1203000000-438256 qam9
2211000000-338256 qam10
3219000000-4.238256 qam11

Upstream bonded channelsChannel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID
1462000005.4512064 qam3
2394000005.4512064 qam4

Upstream bonded channelsChannel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts
1ATDMA0000
2ATDMA0000

Router status
Network LogTime Priority Description
04/05/2020 17:14:5Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
04/05/2020 17:14:5criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
04/05/2020 17:10:36Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
04/05/2020 17:10:36criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
04/05/2020 17:10:0Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
04/05/2020 17:10:0critical

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Broadband quality checker:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8ac6c1ae888aa1c5423f660da768597c78962337-04-05-2020

Thanks a lot for the help,

luke 

Did you manage to get your issues fixed? Mines doing exact same and has similar logs as yours. Been going on for over 5 weeks now. I even brought a new TP-Link router to see if it helps but although speeds have increased dramatically, still get constant drop outs daily. 

I'm also getting this exact same experience, super frustrating!

I have very similar logs as well:

22/06/2020 03:30:49criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/06/2020 02:50:10Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/06/2020 02:49:31criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/06/2020 22:56:8Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/06/2020 22:54:0criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
21/06/2020 22:07:10Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

On a superhub 3 in modem mode. I'll triple-check my coax connections but I'm pretty sure they're fine...

I am also experiencing the same issue and have the same messages in the router logs. 

Yes, me too. I've used the SH3, then switched it to modem with a powerful Asus Router, then replaced that with a TP-LINK Mesh system. I conclude that what's happening within my walls is not the problem - it's the regular dropouts from Virgin that's the problem.

It's really disappointing to get a half-promising response to the first question posted but then no follow-through, despite many people having the same issue. 

Hi Ashdowners,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

I have taken a look on our side and can see that we do have a congestion issue reported in your area. 

The fault reference for this is: F007661893. The estimated fix date is: 22 JUL 2020 16:30.

^Martin

Thanks for the helpful response. I'll look forward to seeing if the service stabilises next week.

You're welcome. 

^Martin