cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping connection

LukeMcpherson88
Joining in

Our broadband drops out very regularly, a few times an hour for a few minutes (sometimes longer if the hub reboots itself). 

After two engineer visits, a new hub and new cabling, the situation is no better. This has been an issue for 2 months. If I manage to speak to someone I am told that there is no issue on ‘their end’ and the virgin broadband test online is infuriating. 

Following advice I have set up a thinkbroadband network monitoring app which over the last week shows constant ‘dropped packets’ and constant spikes of ‘high latency’. As a lay person I have no idea what this means but am told it can cause dropped connections. 

Can anyone advice of a possible solution?

thanks

Luke

105 REPLIES 105

Hi,

I had the router replaced by the engineer about and signal increased about 2 or so weeks ago. It was fine for about a week and now the problem has returned.

Xbox is connected via ethernet, but cannot obtain a dns.

Myself and my partner both appear to have good network connection but when joining meetings, they become choppy and ofter am disconnected due to slow connection.

This is very disruptive.

Regards,

JJ

Thanks for your post @Jethwa,

Can you please confirm if you have any devices that work on the Wi-Fi?

Do these work on Wi-Fi when in the same room as the hub?

Have we issued you any boosters or pods? Do you have any third party booster added to your network?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi final_chapter,

Thanks for your PM, I'm sorry to hear that your issues with your broadband seem to have reappeared. 

I've had another look at the account and can see that one of your upstream channels is out of spec, and so I've arranged another engineer visit for you. To view your appointment time slot, please head over to your My Virgin Media account or app. The appointment time can also be rearranged from there if needed.

Please do let me know how you get on after the visit and if there's anything else I can help you with.

Beth

Beth

Hi Beth,

Many thanks for this.

I went on my account and selected track order and nothing appears yet. Is this normal? Do you need my account number?

Regards,

Ken

Hi David_Bn

Can you please confirm if you have any devices that work on the Wi-Fi? Laptops, desktop, consoles, tablet and mobiles these all work with the WiFi but the WiFi drops intermittently more often than not these day. I can barely converse in meetings with the video on and even without the voice is choppy and often, am disconnected.

Do these work on Wi-Fi when in the same room as the hub? Yes, again as above.

Have we issued you any boosters or pods?  Yes they did not work well. Do you have any third party booster added to your network? Yes, as the booster did not work, I purchased a 3rd party router which is currently being used as a dumb extension only.

Regards,

Jay

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jethwa,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I've had a quick look at your account, and I can see that there are unfortunately some issues showing. I'd like to book an engineer appointment for you, I'll just need to confirm a few details via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

I continue to have the exact same issues explained by Jethwa.

Most conference calls (Microsoft Teams and Zoom) are getting interruped due to bad network quality. This occurs 30-40 times a day. When it happens any internet radio playing(Alexa or Logitech Squeezeradio) stop as well, the green wifi light flashes for a minute or less, then it comes back. This issue has been ongoing for ages, it started around June 2020. The router was replaced, cabling inside and outside were checked etc.

Judging by the graphs, my broadband quality monitor doesnt seem to capture all of these interruptions, but it happens 30-40 times a day. I'm thinking of letting a pc running 24x7 with chrome's internet connection monitor add on installed, which will ping and confirm when internet is down, just so I can prove how often it goes down.

Please advise what can be done to fix this.

Thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sbirsen853

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to private message you to collect a few details, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

virgisimbieski
Joining in

I also have this exact same issue. Have tried the following so far with no luck. 

-Factory Reset using pinhole

-Modem mode on and off - Connecting devices directly via wifi to Super Hub 3 

-Power cycle unplug for 2 mins

-Checked all internal cables are secure

Internet continues to drop over 40 times a day.

Hi @virgisimbieski,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that you've been having some ongoing connection issues lately. Is this also impacting your wired connection, or just wireless/Wi-Fi?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!