cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet dropping connection

LukeMcpherson88
Joining in

Our broadband drops out very regularly, a few times an hour for a few minutes (sometimes longer if the hub reboots itself). 

After two engineer visits, a new hub and new cabling, the situation is no better. This has been an issue for 2 months. If I manage to speak to someone I am told that there is no issue on ‘their end’ and the virgin broadband test online is infuriating. 

Following advice I have set up a thinkbroadband network monitoring app which over the last week shows constant ‘dropped packets’ and constant spikes of ‘high latency’. As a lay person I have no idea what this means but am told it can cause dropped connections. 

Can anyone advice of a possible solution?

thanks

Luke

105 REPLIES 105

Hi My internet connection drops a number of times a day while working and sometimes disappears altogether requiring a restart. I also seem to have the worst connection on Google Meet calls with colleagues and clients when I am the one in the city with fibre internet? I have recently installed the new WiFi box being distributed in our area but this has made no difference or maybe it is in fact worse as the signal came back itself more often without requiring a reset on the old box. Do I need an engineer to check the levels or signal strength? Thanks 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JFRP,

Welcome to forums and thank you for your post 🙂

I am sorry to hear this. Are you able to set up a live BQM link so we can take a look at your dropouts, please?

Thanks,

Zoie

Hi

Is this what you need?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4218c2e7e69b236f6bebf50220610eb9acbb1595

I use Google Meet for all work calls and every time I speak on a call I am told I am breaking up. I have to turn video off to be able to speak. Cityfibre are digging up our street in the next few days so maybe that will be the solution? 

Thanks 

JFRP

DanBurton
Joining in

Hi, I am having the same issue except it’s happening a few times an hour. I drop from every work call, Netflix won’t play a full episode through the tv and I cannot connect my Xbox online without it disconnecting from live. 

I’ve just had a replacement hub 3 delivered but the issue remains. 

@DanBurton wrote:

... snip...

If you want assistance please start your own thread.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks, have done. 

@Zoie_P What do you think about the results of the monitor you asked me to set up now that it has been running for a while?

Thanks 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/4218c2e7e69b236f6bebf50220610eb9acbb1595

E35AEC84-ED9B-4F4C-9686-8DE8C2492727.png

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Your >> BQM << is a mess.

Did you have a power outage at lunchtime ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

No power cut it just lost the internet connection as it has before and I had to restart the new router. 

How do I get mine to look like yours?

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

You need to be in a low utilisation area and at an optimum distance from the street cabinet.