Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Internet dropping: DNS/Mac address issue?

Hi there

I have a very annoying issue, My devices seem to suddenly stop getting any internet, I feel like this is a DNS or mac address issue?

My setup:

• Hub 3 in modem mode
    • Ethernet port connected to TP-Link Switch, with following devices
      • 2 laptops hardwired (intermitantly on-off during the day)
      • Apple TV
      • Internet TV
      • Deco M4 Router (turned on ad-hoc), wth following devices
        • Ethernet: Wireless camera's
        • Wifi: Mobile devices 

Here are scenario's where I have observed the access to the internet going down. Note: in all cases I have one active device using an ethernet port and then add one or two more active devices

Scenario A

1. Internet TV streaming program from Netflix

2. Turn on WiFI router, wifi works for about a certain amount of time

Whole network looses internet access (intermitantly, usually works for short period of time <1 hr)

Scenario B

2. Apple TV plugged on but not in use

Whole network looses internet access (intermitantly)

Scenario C

2. Wifi on

Then

3. 1 Laptop plugged in causing the whole network to go down 

To resolve Scenario A, B, C -

1) Plug into a different port in the hub, if that doesn't work

2) Restart the hub

3) Sometimes doing 1, 2 and then plugging a laptop into the ethernet port will bring the network back

I have already had the hub replaced, the engineers and call centre staff in India & UK were sadly unable to help further diagnose this issue so I thought I would try here.

I have read this post which is the closest in symptoms and resoloution to what I have but I am banging my head against the wall. 

I don't know what else to do but with the whole WFH + family wanting to use devices etc. I need a reliable network!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet dropping: DNS/Mac address issue?

If your description is correct, then it will not work. When in modem mode, the VM hub has only one Ethernet connection which can only be connected to one device. This for test purposes could be say a PC, but the normal connection is to a router. Your description say a switch is connected to the one available port and this will cause no end of errors. This port should be connected to your Deco ‘master’ unit which should be in router mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We don't turn on the wifi for a host of reasons (deadspots etc.) hence the hard-wired route. Is there any alternative to your suggestion? What advantage is connecting to a router vs switch - let's say for argument sake I didn't need / want wifi - just a hardwired solution. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@nkm3837 I'm afraid it simply will not work through a switch - in modem mode, the Hub can connect one and only one device to the internet and that's it. If you try to connect more than one, then they basically 'fight' over which gets the connection and you end up with precisely the situation you describe.

It's a router (absolutely not a switch - they are very different devices) which allows multiple devices to 'share' the single internet connection, be they connected via wifi or cable, the router doesn't care! So VM Hub in modem mode, one (and only one) ethernet cable to the WAN port on your router, connect the switch to the LAN port on the router and all wired devices go into that switch as well. 

This is the only way it will work - trust me!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok, thanks!

I have a router which I have connected up to a physicial switch (so I can turn it on when upstairs and not plugged in which is downstairs!) Hence the convoluted setup. Otherwise I would have to login to the hub to manually turn on a the wifi 

Maybe I can try turning it on the router mode on the hub, turn off the wifi and connect it to the deco in access point mode so in theory the DHCP allocation etc. comes from the hub. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Jem101 or @Tudor

Any other suggestions by any chance? I tried it in router mode, and changed my router to access point mode but it still goes down. Sometimes even without the wifi being turned on but more down to connecting another device to the nework.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Jem101 or @Tudor

Any other suggestions by any chance? I tried it in router mode, and changed my router to access point mode but it still goes down. Sometimes even without the wifi being turned on but more down to connecting another device to the nework.

Surely someone else has a hard wired solution with a wireless router for ad-hoc needs...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Update: Purchased a Asus RT-AC86U, put the hub in modem mode and this still happens. 

Symtom seems to be connecting one more device to the ethernet network causes the network to go do. If I restart the Asus router leaving the hub this seems to remedy the issue.

Given both symtoms were happening with both the asus router and hub, is the hub at fault here?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If connecting more than one device pulls the whole segment down then it’s either, faulty cable, faulty device or two devices with the same fixes IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@nkm3837 wrote:

Update: Purchased a Asus RT-AC86U, put the hub in modem mode and this still happens. 

Symtom seems to be connecting one more device to the ethernet network causes the network to go do. If I restart the Asus router leaving the hub this seems to remedy the issue.

Given both symtoms were happening with both the asus router and hub, is the hub at fault here?

Just to clarify - you’re plugging the device into the ASUS router and not the hub, correct?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos