Menu
lemosilveira
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Internet down at E181LS

Hello everyone. 

I live in a shared house rented by an agency who can't be bothered to call virgin media, which prevents all of us from calling them as we're not the account holders.

We've not had Internet at all since Sunday and I've read about a lot of people having this issue recently. Even though virgin's service status says everything is OK... 

Does anyone know when will this be fixed or how can I get help to get our Internet working?

Regards, 

Jo

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet down at E181LS

Have you checked for “known network faults”?
As well as trying the “check service,” weblink (at the top of this forum board), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that might even not yet be listed on the Service Status web page) - that may give you more info on any faults.

What Hub model do you have and what are its lights "showing & doing"? Try switching it off and unplugging for 5 minutes - back on - and leave 5 mins to stabilise - see if that helps.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
lemosilveira
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hope I'm not getting this wrong but the only thing I can see is HUB 3.0 VMDG505/TG2492LG-VM.

I've turned it off for some 10mins and back on, still the same.

Light is a constant yellow.

On the routers page it also shows under status "Internet - access denied

The service for the area says its fine. Couldnt call the number because my agent doesn't have a virgin phone number and I don't know his contract number.

All this said almost makes me think its not an area problem but a local one because of that access denied...

Thanks for being so quick in trying to help!

Jo

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If the Hub3's base light is a constant white/yellow and not flashing green it means it is connected fine to the VM network. So as far as VM are concerned - all is well - and your problems are just wifi related.
To check this correctly - you need to connect a PC/laptop directly to the Hub by Cat5e/6 ethernet cable reboot the device and see if the connection is working - are you able you try that?

You could also reset the Hub like this.. With the Hub "on" push in the pin on the back/side/bottom of the Hub with the end of a paperclip until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and note that then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card - so if they had been changed before you will need to put the sticker wifi password to get your devices connected.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
lemosilveira
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

On the HUB settings it says wireless is fine, and Internet is (access denied). What you suggested, would it be the same as rebooting the hub through its admin page? If so, I've already done it before.

And unfortunately I can't try a cabled connection as I have a desktop with a WiFi board connected to a range extender. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I dont know for sure as I (fortunately!) do not have a Hub3 - but I think doing it through the admin page restarts the Hub (does it?) the "manual" method doesn't - so it would be different.

If your PC has a standard RJ45 ethernet port (most do - unless you built it without) then you just need to get a run of cable and connect them up - it will give you much better connection as well. 5/10/20/50 metre runs of Cat5e/6 cable can be had for a few quid from the usual outlets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
lemosilveira
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I will try the manual method later (just popped out). With that reset, will it ask me again for VM credentials? The wifi/admin passwords are still the default on the sticker so that won't be a problem. But anything like a VM login I won't be able to get it

Edit: as for ethernet cable, I live on the second floor, with the router being on the ground floor on the other side of the house

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Nope reset will be fine no VM info needed

Re the ethernet. For temporary testing just trail it over the carpet and upstairs for an hour or two till you test and troubleshoot. For permanent connection "flat" cable can be concealed behind carpet and skirting board, tucked under carpet etc. As its a shared house - "permanence" will depend on how tolerant your housemates are 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
lemosilveira
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately it would be the agent who lacks tolerance haha

I will try the reset in a couple of hours and let you know if it persists. Thanks again for your help

0 Kudos
lemosilveira
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've tried the reset button (hold for a minute, wait 5mins) and hasn't worked. Admin status page still shows access denied on Internet. I also don't have at the moment a cable big enough. Would need some 40m cable or so

0 Kudos