cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet cutting out regularly and now gone

AdamGiles1
Joining in

Hi all

Our internet has been regularly dropping out for the past couple of weeks. Every day it seems to drop completely for indeterminate amounts of times before it kicks back in. We are connected to our hub but not to the internet. 

After running tests today, I attempted to restart our hub 4 and it came up with a red light suggesting a connection issue, but all of the wires are tightly connected and we have never had any issues with them in the past. After a reset of the hub the light was back to a dimmed white which apparently means it’s all working. The internet is seemingly gone completely today and isn’t looking like coming back anytime soon. 

Virgin have arranged for an engineer to come to us on Monday but my fiancé works from home on Fridays and won’t be able to connect tomorrow, just wondering if there’s anything else this could be or that we could try? 

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try plugging in a laptop/computer on ethernet cable and see if that connects - may just be a wifi issue ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

Thanks for the reply, we’ve got two wired connections that are also saying they are connected to the hub but not the internet. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not much you can do really except the obvious of doing a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box an wires have not been pulled out.

Could also check for known network issues on the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

You could try a pinhole reset of the Hub (below) and see if it kicks it into life.
With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.