Menu
Niknak2018
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Internet cutting off

My internet cuts off all the time and I have called up VM on numerous occasions, engineer has been out and left Wi-Fi extenders which are not helping the problem. Can't watch Netflix or play consoles upstairs in the house. I am at my wits end with it and ready to leave VM for failing to provide a working service which I am paying for!! Anyone any ideas to help out?? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet cutting off

are wired connections also cutting off or is it only wifi

Tony
Niknak2018
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's wifi. I don't use any wired connections 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

then - with respect - you cannot say VM are not supplying what they are contracted to - you pay for a connection to the hub3 - if thats working then thats it

so that asks the question - is the wired connection ok - you dont have one but you need to answer that question by testing wired - if the wired connection drops with the wifi then VM need to sort it - if its just the wifi that drops - assuming VM dont think the hub is faulty you need to sort it

you could post the levels from the hub which may show a problem

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

if the levels are good then a wired test is the next part of any problem solving

Tony
Niknak2018
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20181014-191453_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181014-191435_Chrome.jpg

I have added these above. Hopefully done it correct. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

levels look good so i say again

you pay for a connection to the hub3 - if thats working then thats it

so that asks the question - is the wired connection ok - you dont have one but you need to answer that question by testing wired - if the wired connection drops with the wifi then VM need to sort it - if its just the wifi that drops - assuming VM dont think the hub is faulty you need to sort it

Tony
0 Kudos
Niknak2018
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I will try an Ethernet cable and see but if it's not that how can I sort Wi-Fi problems? I had BT before VM for years and WiFi worked 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Assuming that you have a Hub3 (correct?).  There are a couple of tweaks you can try to help stabilise the wifi networks that might help (unless you are subject to large amounts ofinterference of course).  If you haven't already done this, try it - it can only help.

Many wifi problems on the VM Hub3 are caused by (1) smart wifi having channel optimisation enabled, and (2) it Auto-assigning the same ssid “name” to its 2.4 & 5 GHz frequency networks.  That can confuse 2.4GHz only devices as they may try to connect to the 5GHz one. So the first job is to change these:-

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1) in your browser

• Login with the default login info (it’s on the sticker on the base/side of Hub) unless you've already updated it !
  • Once logged in, go into Smart Wifi and - DISABLE "channel optimisation" (if it's been "enabled")
  • Then go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under “Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz” - change the wifi Network Name (SSID) in the box to summat you like...   xxxxx2G - and also the wifi password (network key) to one you like and will remember!
  • Repeat this procedure for the “Wireless Frequency 5GHz” (call it xxxxx5G to distinguish it) use  the same password to keep it simple.
  • click on.. APPLY CHANGES, Log out and reboot the Hub3

Now all your devices should be able to “see” the 2 new individually renamed networks in their list of available networks and so you can now connect to just the one of your choice.  The 5GHz one is usually best and more stable and subject to less interference.  Its range may be less than the 2.4 one though - but which some devices only can use.

See if that helps, if not post back.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Niknak2018
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I can't find smart Wi-Fi in my settings but  changed channel from auto to manual??Thanks for trying to help

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Niknak2018 wrote:

I can't find smart Wi-Fi in my settings but  changed channel from auto to manual??Thanks for trying to help

I "think" smart wifi may have only been introduces with the Hub3 ....608 Firmware update.  Are you on that Firmware - check in "router settings"?  Did you rename the channels then and did it help ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos