cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection drop out

Bronco36
On our wavelength

As with many on here I'm getting my internet connection dropping out on a regular basis, although I was told engineers working on it recently last night was just another frustrating nights viewing if it can be called that.

I joined think broadband and get regular reading like this below, I just pay my £45 a month and expect a far better service than this, unfortunately I have no IT knowledge so I have to take Virgins word that thing will get better.

Frustrated

Bronco36Virgin.jpg  

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
To check whether its a known issue that they are working on fixing, try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum).

Also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers - or just you.

Also... if nothing is being reported on there... are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check on one to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
To check whether its a known issue that they are working on fixing, try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum).

Also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers - or just you.

Also... if nothing is being reported on there... are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check on one to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for you're reply John,

I've been with Virgin since the good old days of days of Yorkshire Cable it seems the more subscribers they have the poorer their service is, the super hub 3 has never given me full coverage in my bungalow so a friend set me the Tenda Nova mesh system up, I can now get WIFI in every room including my conservatory but unfortunately he had to put the hub into modem mode so when I've got through to Virgin they say with the super hub 3 being in modem mode there is nothing they can do to check my connection.

Thanks again 

Bronco36

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bronco36 wrote:

<snip>unfortunately he had to put the hub into modem mode so when I've got through to Virgin they say with the super hub 3 being in modem mode there is nothing they can do to check my connection.

That should read "fortunately" as the Hub is better in modem mode if using a 3rd party Mesh system.

However, VM can check some stats when in modem mode, but can't do the full gamut of tests unless it's in Router mode.

You can post the power levels and network log from the Hub here, and we can comment on that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Or put the Hub back into normal router mode and call in again

--------------------
John
--------------------

Bronco36
On our wavelength

As with many on here I'm getting my internet connection dropping out on a regular basis, although I was told engineers working on it recently last night was just another frustrating nights viewing if it can be called that.

I joined think broadband and get regular reading like this below, I just pay my £45 a month and expect a far better service than this, unfortunately I have no IT knowledge so I have to take Virgins word that thing will get better.

Frustrated

Bronco36Virgin.jpg

Hope this is correct Lisa.

Hi @Bronco36

Welcome back to the community!

Sorry to see that you're having connection issues at this time. I have check our system and can't see any issues at our end at this time, there was a SNR (noise/interference) before, but nothing at this present time. Do you get the same connection drop outs when running the in router mode rather than modem? Are the disconnections happening at about the same time or are they random? If you can leave a live link to your BQM we can keep checking this to monitor further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Bronco36
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply Carley_S the drop out is random, I got drop out before we changed the hub into modem mode, when we used adaptors for the weak wifi signal, they covered the whole bungalow but we changed to mesh as they are supposed to better I'm told. 

Can you explain the readings I'm getting on those picture I've sent aren't those the reading to my hub ?, with regards the BQM I don't have a clue what that is or how to get it on here but I'm sure the lad who does my IT can do it when he gets time.

Regards

Bronco36.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Post up the BQM again (as in message 6) but as Lisa asks click and post the "live link".  See this....

Screenshot 2022-04-15 at 15.32.29.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thank you John.

Virgin 2.jpg