Menu
Slimbo1982
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Internet blocked

Since yesterday my wifi is blocking me from using certain apps and accesing certain websites and keeps asking me to fill in recaptcha forms to prove I’m not a robot. One app on my phone in particular is affected when at home on my WiFi my ring security app will not connect at all and says no connection but when I use phone data connects straight away also tried it connected to friends WiFi and it works. I have reset and factory reset everything with no joy. Virgin is definitely blocking my access to certain things. As this all previously worked with no issues.

0 Kudos
BG2018
Settling in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet blocked

We've encountered this **exact** same problem at the **exact** same time.

Yesterday evening, many websites I usually visit either forced me to do a CAPTCHA test (repeatedly, every visit!) or simply didn't load correctly.

Problem persisted throughout today.

This isn't a problem with my laptop: websites work fine when accessed on same computer via 4G personal hotspot so its either:

(i) a problem with my hub/router; or

(ii) a problem with my IP;

(ii) Cloudfare blocking a range of Virgin IPs.

Virus scans all fine. Reset hub to factory settings. No change.

Looking at Virgin Media Forums for help. Saw Simbo1982's post above, which mentions exact same problem first encountered at exact same time. I therefore suspect problem is (ii) or (iii).

How can this be fixed? Surely I'm not expected to beg Cloudfare to unblock my IP (!!). Broadband useless if problem continues. 

0 Kudos
Slimbo1982
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just spoke to a friend the next street over and he’s having the exact same issues being blocked from certain sites and bombarded with recaptcha forms which were never encountered before. The only way I found to overcome the issue was to try a free trial vpn to hide my location and everything worked as normal so it is definitely virgin media blocking us for some reason. This is not acceptable as the sites and apps I’m trying to use are legitimate and I shouldn’t have to be using a vpn to hide my activity. 

0 Kudos
BG2018
Settling in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Another Virgin customer is experiencing the same issue

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Recaptcha-on-wifi/m-p/3853642/highlight/fal...

I don't think its Virgin blocking websites. As you say, these are normal websites. Rather I suspect its Cloudflare blocking a range of Virgin IPs. If so, perhaps Virgin can resolve the matter with Cloudflare asap?

0 Kudos