cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Intermittently Cutting Out

Dradia56
Joining in

Hi

I keep getting the internet cut-out randomly which is affecting my CCTV.

The Main monitor doesn't seem to be affected.I have a monitor on an old Lap Top in one room by the Router and one on Tablet. This worked without any issue with Sky. Now I get a message that ''Video is Offline '' on the Laptop. I have been with Virgin for 3 weeks and this is an ongoing issue.

I have checked on 0800 561 0061 and there are no issues in the Area. I have tried to relog on both the devices and it has not working now at all.

The router is HUB 3 . Any advice !!!

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

It's evident on WiFi only. I only have 1 device connected with Ethernet which is a Eufy Door Camera Hub

There is just one Hub Light Botton Horizontal White color showing all the time. yesterday when I got home from work I rebooted the Hub got it working and it's gone off again with the message '' Home Device Offline '' on the laptop.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok try this.... as the dual band VM SSID sometimes "confuses" some devices

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.
See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

If it doesnt help, to address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, John for such details. I will give it a try when I get back home from work and see what happens. I really need it sorting as it's so enoying lol

My Package is M100 Fibre Broadband with TV and Phone

Hello Dradia56

Can I please ask how thigs are now?

Here's hoping its all sorted for you 

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth 

Sorry for late reply. 

Last 4 days there has only been 2 instances when monitors have gone offline. I have not changed anything on the router. Fingers crossed it's going to continue to be ok 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Dradia56

Thanks for posting on your community forum!

How has your connection been since posting? Have you seen any improvement?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Travis

Thanks for your message.

My Tablet and Lap Top I have noticed the last couple of days have started to go off line a few times.I thought it was beginning to look good lol.

Hi @Dradia56,

Are these two devices both using a wireless/Wi-Fi connection? If so, is it possible to test a wired connection to see if that's also affected by these intermittent connection drops?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!