cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection Issues, Going On For Months

Jordan84792
On our wavelength

Hello all,

I've had connection issues with Virgin Media for months and months and I'm still yet to get these resolved.

So, basically my speed keeps getting slow multiple times a week sometimes daily. I've been on the 200MB package most of my time with Virgin however my ping and connection is always up and down. It's so bad I rang up and told them I want to cancel my package when my contracted ended however later that week I had a call bribing me to stay offering me the same package at a cheaper rate including the wifi booster kit at no extra price (normally £3 additional a month) according to the man on the phone so I stayed and used these wifi boosters they've not helped in fact I'm not even using them currently I feel my network is even worse with them in use. 

I've tried to call customer service to explain the problem but the person on the end of the phone always seems to not know anything about broadband and how it works. They just guide me through the usual move the router around, unplug it and restart, they're running a trouble shoot test it'll take a few minutes etc, my last call to them I tried explaining a conversation I had with my neighbour. He told me an engineer come out to him as he is also experiencing problems and told him the way both of our houses are connected to Virgins network is incorrect. His words were the engineer said the wire connecting our houses to the network is being used by both of us via a splitter and this isn't the way it's supposed to be which is why the connection is so unstable he did mention it affects his TV and everything but I only have broadband, anyway this is supposed to be getting fixed but due to covid they cannot get the work done. Can anyone verify what he was talking about and explain what this means and why Virgin hasn't let me in on this information and whether I'm able to claim compensation for this?

I just want a good network connection consistently, I've done everything you can do to try and improve connection, the router is away from devices that could interfere it's been moved around to multiple locations it doesn't help, I've changed the network channel on the hub settings page it doesn't help, I've updated all my device drivers it doesn't help, I've bought new wifi adapters for my PC, used wired connection, used the wifi extenders pretty much everything and nothing helps.

It's only me and my girlfriend in the house, 2 Google mini hubs, 1 Google Hub Max, 1 Google Hub w/ Display, 2 Google Chromecasts, An LG Smart TV, a PC and 2 phones connected to the network most of the time. Yet we have issues watching Youtube, Netflix, Gaming etc. My last phones call to customer services led me to upgrading to the 350MB package for an additional £2.50 the women on the other end of the phone was clueless to what I was trying to explain she couldn't even tell me what the minimum guaranteed speed was she was just like ' sir, 350MBs is faster you get up to 350MBs instead of 200MBs' when I know there is now a minimum guaranteed speed broadband providers can't use the 'up to' term anymore.

I've attached some speed tests and pings to 8.8.8.8 where you can see my ping is up and down and speed is well below 350MBs and presumably the minimum guaranteed speed I am supposed to he getting. I have noticed the upload speed tends to not change much it's the download speed that gets affected. 

Any replies on what I can do to resolve these issues and go into detail about what my neighbour was saying if you get what he was talking about would be appreciated. 

Kind regards,

Jordan

As you can see, pings time out and my ping fluctuates badlyAs you can see, pings time out and my ping fluctuates badly

even more time outs and inconsistent ping rateseven more time outs and inconsistent ping rates

The upload speed is well below the 350 MBs mark, the upload speed seems unaffected?The upload speed is well below the 350 MBs mark, the upload speed seems unaffected?

39 REPLIES 39

The outdoor cablingThe outdoor cabling

The indoor cablingThe indoor cabling

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jordan84792

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

The estimated fix date is currently displaying as 02 JUN 2021 13:00 - my apologies for the inconvenience.

As for the cabling issue, i'll email the area field manager to see if we can get anyone to come out and fix this for you. 

I'll make sure to keep you updated.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello,

Is there any updates on when the cabling issue is going to be fixed? And what is the current estimated fix date please. Also my think broadband graph has been showing huge amounts of red blocks that go on for hours every day since the 31st May any ideas what this is?

Hi Jordan84792,

Looks like the ticket has been updated to the 16th June, very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Alex_Rm

Hello,

I thought I would give it a while before I next posted here but the issue still persists so I assume it hasn't been fixed yet. Could you provide me with the latest estimated fix date please.

Also I was told on the 27th May by @ that they would email the area field manager to see if anyone can fix the outside cabling as it is honestly a mess and I've not heard anything since and can confirm nobody has been to fix the cabling. Could someone follow up on this and provide me with a day someone could come out and fix this please?

I've attached the latest thinkbroad graph and the pictures of the terrible cabling below. 

Thanks in advance to whoever gets back to me.

Kind regards,

Jordan

That is one bad looking BQM!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks for coming back to us @Jordan84792.

Unfortunately the ongoing congestion issues in your area have yet to be resolved, we do have an estimated resolution date and time of Wednesday 14th July at 1 pm, this is under reference F008801793 .

Regards,

Steven_L

@lotharmat

@lotharmat wrote:
That is one bad looking BQM!!

Tell me about it... I've been experiencing this for at least 10 months now. The estimated fix date just keeps getting extended and all I can do is wait. I've attempted to get them to release me from my contract so I can try out another provider but I'm not getting anywhere.

@Steven_L wrote:

Thanks for coming back to us @Jordan84792.

Unfortunately the ongoing congestion issues in your area have yet to be resolved, we do have an estimated resolution date and time of Wednesday 14th July at 1 pm, this is under reference F008801793 .

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks for the update and what should I do about the bad exposed wiring issue? Can someone here arrange an engineer to come fix it for me or do I need to try through the phone again?

Regards,

Jordan

Thanks for coming back to us @Jordan84792

I can see to arrange for an engineer to come to the property to resolve the cabling issue for you.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me, and I'll take some details from you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn