cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent wifi and bad signal

niffniff
On our wavelength

For months my work vpn plays up and I've discovered it's the wifi. The wifi keeps dropping in and out the boosters fail, I have no signal in certain rooms. I did a full reboot at the weekend reset boosters and it played up for hours and then started working. But I still have the wifi dropping in and out, and now I have 2 wifi signons (why). This is getting ridiculous and I'm struggling to fiddle with cables and plugs as I'm disabled. Does anyone have any suggestions please

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Hero

I am afraid that VPN over WiFi + WiFi extenders is most likely at the root of your VPN stability problems.

VPN are like tele conf calls where data streams in both directions all the time. A network cabled connection can do this too.

WiFi can't, it does bursts of in bound then bursts of out bound data, add a WiFI extender and the smoothness of the connection degrades further.

niffniff
On our wavelength

It's not just my work laptop though, although that annoys me the most. It's the whole home wifi for normal stuff like phones and tabs the we use the most. But I understand what you are saying about vpns

The opening post mentioned a WiFi booster.  These are wireless repeater devices.

To get good results, it is critical the WiFi repeater is placed about half way between the Hub and the location where better coverage is required.

It is very common mistake to find a WiFi repeater in an office or bedroom located very close to the laptops / TVs etc that need WiFi coverage.

niffniff
On our wavelength

So why does it always say connected no Internet aswell.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey niffniff, thanks for reaching out on the help forums and sorry to hear of the ongoing issues with your connection and VPN.

We'd love to best help out as we understand how frustrating this may be, as we see you're using a VPN could you also please tell us if you have any other 3rd party equipment connected such as a router or boosters, perhaps?

Could you please also see if you can disable your VPN (and any 3rd party kit, if any) and run a few checks here and here to see if there are any faults with the service or your equipment?

Lastly, we'd like to explain that when VPN is active, you'll see your device saying 'connecting - no internet' as the connection goes through the VPN so this is a normal/default indication.
If you deactivate the VPN this will be restored.

Please, tell us how you get on and we'll be around to assist based on your feedback.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

niffniff
On our wavelength

After a frustrating week and discovering we now had 2 wifi sign ons, I noticed on the connect app something called wifi one. After setting that up things have go better. The third party vpn is global protect and cannot be turned off. I will continue to monitor but fingers crossed everything is better.