cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent problem with wifi

AndyP2609
On our wavelength

I've had intermittent problems with wired/wireless connection to the router for a couple of weeks now.  Occasionally the connection drops out for half an hour or so (on 23/05/2022 it was for over 3 hours).  

I know there are rules about quality of service and when you can get refunds but working on what should be a reliable wired system providing 500Mb/s should be straightforward and consistent.  I sometimes have to work from home and that is via wired too, so it should also be reliable.  

I currently pay over £100 a month for what should be a decent quality of service, but at the moment I am just not getting that.  I have rebooted the hub several times but nothing seems to work for a continued period of time.  Intermittent broadband failures, occasional TV outages.  

And the VirginMedia help is absolutely USELESS.  There is NO way to get an engineer to come and look at the setup if the system is currently working.  And (because I live in a mobile blackspot) there's no easy way of requesting one when it's not, as I DON'T HAVE ACCESS!  And phoning is also a waste of time, as they never actually seem to be able to help.

Seriously considering moving on from VirginMedia despite the broadband/O2 boost etc via Volt, as 500Mb/s is only good if it actually works.

14 REPLIES 14

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What is connected ? How many simultaneous connections are there?

Your own router? PC? Laptop? Switch? NAS? TV's? Doorbells? Cameras? Firesticks? NowTV boxes? etc...

Or is it just the one?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Wired connections : V6, my PC and the TV
Wifi: four phones and a couple of Google Home devices

I've got 500Mb/s so should comfortably handle all of this.

Hi @AndyP2609,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some problems with your wired connections recently. I've checked the systems on our end and I'm unable to detect any faults on the line currently to explain these problems you're experiencing. Are these ongoing today for you?

If they are, can you please ensure that all cables to and from the router are completely secured and tight? If you, please also set up and share with us a live BQM so that we can see your connection in real-time.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

AndyP2609
On our wavelength

So, after all the hassle with the helpline advising about rebooting the hub, and issues around getting an engineer out to investigate, I had to raise a complaint.  The upshot was that an engineer WAS sent out, and the problem seemed to be an issue with corroded connector on the feed into the house.  Replacement connectors fitted and all (currently) seems to be OK.

Hi AndyP2609, 

Thanks for coming back to us and letting us know that things are resolved for you now. I'm glad an engineer was able to come out and they were able to find a cause. 

Please keep us posted on how you get on and if there is anything else we can do, you know where we are. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs