cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent packet drops and poor connectivity

Dreadnaught72
On our wavelength

I have been having issues for a year on and off with Packets dropping, which causes the internet to disconnect, then reconnect a few minutes later. I've had 2 engineers come out, both of whom have replaced the router or told me it's WIFI related (despite me being connected via cable and not using WIFI)

If I run a continuous Ping to the router and a continuous ping to 192.16.0.1 at the same time I always see the packets drop to 8.8.8.8 but never to the router. It happens on multiple devices in the house always at the same time If I check the router logs (this is a new router replaced by the engineer yesterday) I see things like the following

Dreadnaught72_0-1623842603450.png

The No ranging response was the most common one on the old router too, an engineer came out yesterday. they've replaced the router for a second time but as I believe the fault to be with the cabling/something external it's not made any difference

Dreadnaught72_1-1623842679069.png

What is the best way for me to get this resolved as every time an engineer comes out they blame it on Poor Wifi or the router and don't seem to want to check the cabling in any form. I do believe it to be a cabling fault as historically the connection has been fine, but since 2020 we've had this issue.

If I am wrong then please let me know, but I don't know how else to fix this as I've ran out of options for troubleshooting...

Thanks

29 REPLIES 29

Hi Zack, 

Just to let you know the issue does not seem to be resolved. Again it did seem to get better for a few days but it appears to be the same issue, I ran the checker again this morning and it says there is a network issue, the checker seems to constantly vary between 3 status 

• There is no known fault - broadband should be fine
  • There is a network issue which may be affecting your broadband service (this is the most common)
  •  Occasionally we get there is an intermittent signal issue in your area

Dreadnaught72_0-1627119468350.png

Dreadnaught72_4-1627119892309.jpeg

I honestly have no idea whats going on, this is a ping test from the 21st  - where it's working fine. 

Dreadnaught72_2-1627119650453.png

But this is the test from late yesterday where I noticed that things seemed to be dropping

Dreadnaught72_3-1627119715126.png

So the issue as in the subject line seems to be extremely intermittent (please note the above tests are on Ethernet not WIFI connection)

Thanks

Hi @Dreadnaught72,

Thank you for coming back to us about this issue.

I was able to run some further tests on your account and I can see that there are currently no area issues that could be impacting your service. 

After running some further tests, I can see that there are some severe upstream and downstream power level issues showing on your account. 

In order to have this issue resolved, I will need to book a technician appointment for you. I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details before I can book the appointment. 

Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Dreadnaught72,

Thank you for coming back to me via Private Message and confirming your details.

I was able to book your appointment for the first available slot. I confirmed the appointment details with you via PM. 

You can also manage your booking on your online account if necessary. 

Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and how your connection is doing after.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

The engineer came out and did do some further troubleshooting, he factory reset the router and changed our Network cables tab port (apparently) Unfortunately as usual it got better for about a day
Dreadnaught72_0-1627687858894.jpeg

Dreadnaught72_1-1627687901715.jpeg

Updating Media

Dreadnaught72_2-1627687926876.jpeg

Dreadnaught72_4-1627687965697.png

Think it might be time to switch provider. Service was taken offline at 09:15 for the 4th Friday in 5 weeks to fix a known network issue.

Thanks to everyone for all their help but I think I'm giving up on it now and I'll look to move away if I can as this is just getting ridiculous I honestly don't even know if its a Virgin media fault anymore but as I get the issue on 3 different computers in the house at the same times I really don't know how it could be my devices or home network. 

Hopefully, if I move the provider the issue will go away.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for the effort in any case.

Just an update in case anyone finds this thread. 

My packet loss got better for a while, but recently the same things started again, so constant packet loss. Random dropouts, internet going off for 3 hours of the day due to area service faults. As I'm a home-based worker I've got an install date for a new line with another provider. 

Dreadnaught72_0-1639227631337.png

No packet loss (Vs this morning on the virgin line where I had a loss of 4% after about 20 mins) so I am fairly sure this is a virgin media infrastructure fault that they're just never going to address as I know other houses in my road have had similar issues. So hopefully once the new line is in properly I won't have any issues.

If I do it must be something with the house 🙂

Thanks for your posts and updates, Dreadnaught72,

Let us know how it goes with the new line.

Cheers,

Corey C

Again just for anyone who might find the thread testing on the new line today

Dreadnaught72_0-1639766811044.png

No Packet loss so far, early days. I'll be sure to post another update in a month or so if this changes. If not assume it's still working fine.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Ah thanks for the update @Dreadnaught72

Glad to hear things are performing well, that's great to hear. 

Any issues, please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Just an update for everyone. I had some issues with BT on the first week and sorted that by putting a switch back in, since then I've had no issues with packet loss on the BT line. There was a Virgin media area fault again today and I can confirm the Virgin line was down for the house and anyone else in my road and BT was not.

Thanks

Thank you for the update @Dreadnaught72.

Sorry to hear your service was down. Is the issue still ongoing today? If so, have you checked here for an update virg.in/service ?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team