cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent loss of connection to broadband

gezsugg
Tuning in

Hi Folks

I've recently started experiencing drop in connection issues. It's very random times and seems to only be for a few seconds - although it's enough to disrupt apps like MS Teams. When I've been quick enough to check WiFi, it seems my PC is connected to the router, but the router has lost internet.  I did check the logs and I can see some strange errors, but none seem to relate to the issue as it's happened three times today. I've attached a screen grab below.  Any help appreciated.

gezsugg_0-1661345319881.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hey gezsugg, thank you for reaching back out and sending this information over.

I have run some more tests and everything is looking good, however I would like to run some more in-depth tests with you.

I am going to send you a PM, please can you look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Your screenshot is rejected as you left in MAC addresses/ip addresses

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi

Thanks for replying. Sorry about the image, I've attached again with MAC's blocked out. Unfortunately the issue happens when I'm in my home office, away from the router (which is a Hub 3 model). The connection drops and reconnects within a few seconds, so I cannot get to the router to check. The light is solid white when ever I look at the hub and I've not noticed any issue with Sky Q/Xbox/etc that are hardwired.  When the connection drops, I have noticed it also affects my phone (also on wifi) but again it's a few seconds.  I am using a Virgin Pod to extend WiFi.

gezsugg_1-1661440218157.png

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A bit hard to say what's happening as it seems to be a wifi only issue. All my wifi connections drop out when someone switches the new panasonic microwave oven on. It comes back on - when it "pings" 😞

All I can suggest is to do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends or loose wires on the connectors . Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling (no clips piercing, or broken sheathing) and the wall box.

You could also post up the rest of the Hub data as per this....

in the Hub settings Navigate to these “pages” and just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 tables from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again. If character limits are “exceeded” - just do two posts

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi gezzugg, thank you for posting on our help forum and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear of the issues you had with dropping connection on the WiFi, since you've stated we have added a WiFi Pod to enhance the wireless signal could you please advise if the issue occurs on all devices at the same time or if there are devices struggling to connect from a certain spot in the house?

Also, you can visit this page here and find more info as well as some fixes depending on the issue we detect.

Let us know how things go since you last posted and if you still need our help with the above, happy to assist you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi.

I'm unable to tell if all devices are affected as it happens while I'm working. It's literally a few seconds issue - but is enough to drop MS Teams calls, causing me a problem.  I've not noticed any dropouts on other devices, but as I'm only browsing the internet or watching Netflix, it would be less noticeable.  I am running a monitor, as suggested by another forum member. Once this has collated some data I will share here.

Hi gezsugg, thanks for getting back to us.

Please do post your results when collated?  I have checked our systems from here and cannot find anything that explains the issue you're reporting.

Regards

Lee

Hi Folks

Sorry for the delay. For some reason all the notification emails get sent to spam, despite me flagging as not-spam. I'm still having this issue randomly. Today (Mon 5th Sep) it happened at 9:39am. I was on a Teams call when my connection 'blipped'. I could still hear everyone, but they could not hear me. My connection showed NOT connected to internet, but I was connected to the router (?!?!).

Here's the latest snapshot from the monitor. Thanks in advance.Capture.JPG

Hi

Today I experienced another loss of connection (09:23). This time I happened to be listening to the radio on a WiFi speaker. This also dropped, as did my mobile phone connection to WiFi. Updated monitor below.  Can anyone at VM check to see if there was any minor 'blip' at this time for my connection?

Capture.JPG

Hey gezsugg, thank you for reaching back out and sending this information over.

I have run some more tests and everything is looking good, however I would like to run some more in-depth tests with you.

I am going to send you a PM, please can you look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?