cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent losing internet

chewkarann
Tuning in

For a year, I have been losing internet connection, intermittently. It has gotten much worse.  Now happening a many times a day (a day, not week!). Unable to work from home with video meeting etc., now can't even have a consistent YouTube experience.

Spoke to VM many times, each time they conducted test and insisted there isn't any problem.

Just came back from 10 days holidays, using hotel internet. And have also test-using neighbour's broadband. Didn't experience regular disconnection. So pretty sure there is a problem with my home broadband.

Tried to raise a complain to ofcom but was diverted to a third party which requires lots of details e.g. history of contact VM customer services etc. (which I will try to obtain)

Any suggestions please?

1) How to get VM to fix the issue?

2) Would upgrading the speed help? ( I thought it isn't the speed but the consistency that matters).

I'm in  Earley Reading RG6 7LY.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Kar Ann

6 REPLIES 6

ReactUK
On our wavelength

Upgrading the speed won't help, it'll just give them more cash for a non-working service 🙂

Log in to your router. What speeds are you on currently/what router are you using. Basically the logs will tell you almost everything you need to know.

Advanced > Tools > Network Status - you specifically want to copy the downstream channel into here and also the network log part, what errors do you have there.

I am going to go out on an educated left field guess and say there are cable issues on the run to your house/breakout in the street, but the router logs will confirm that.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To add to the above, setup a BQM as well.    www.thinkbroadband.com/ping   Post a link to the shared live graph and we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. Will try that.

Thanks, I'll check it up.

Luke_113
Fibre optic

I too am in Reading and its not a loose connection or anything with your connection.

Sadly, Virgin Media have done what they've done all over the country. Over subscribed their local node, there's been an area issue for roughly a year now, I've had the Gig1 service since release (was the first in Reading with the service, outside of beta testers) and can show via the last 2 years of ping graphs that the service has detriorated over that time and got significantly worse in the last year.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to fix this, Virgin Media, if they acknowledge the local issue will take months to consider upgrading capcity in the area.

When FTTP is more widely available Virgin Media are going to get a shock when so many customers just desert them

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @chewkarann,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some ongoing intermittent connection issues with your broadband! I completely understand how frustrating this can be. 

I was able to run some further checks on our systems and I can see that your Hub uptime is over 50 days. Before we run any further checks, please reboot your Hub by flicking the little switch on the back of the Hub off for a minute or two and then turning it back on. This way, the system will reboot and hopefully improve your services. If you're still experiencing some intermittent connection issues, please let us know and we'll be ore than happy to investigate this further for you.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs