Menu
bob2207
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent internet drop off, Network OK

Hello,

Hello,

We are in London, SW14 and switched to Virgin from TalkTalk just under 2 weeks ago. 

Over the last two weeks we have had intermittent internet drop offs every day. They affect both WiFi and ethernet connections and last between 5 and 15 minutes. Everything usually comes online again by itself, though I have re-booted the hub a couple of times. I use a WiFi extender and powerline adapters.

I noticed there was a Broadband issue in my area today but I've had this problem when there have been no issues flagged on Service Status.

Before I contact the Help Desk is there anything I can do to help find where the issue might be?

Rgds,

Bob.

0 Kudos
bob2207
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Me again ...

Eventually called Virgin and got through (eventually) to an operator who had to check things first but had to call me back as his system crashed. He said that there was a general problem in my area which would be fixed later that day with a new cable.

Anyway, today I still have the same problem, intermittent broadband outage with Ethernet coming back up first and WiFi taking much longer. So I called again, got through to another operator who did some checks, asked me to switch the hub off and turn on after 10 seconds. She couldn't see anything wrong and I have an engineer coming round tomorrow afternoon, which, based on what I've read of other posts, is pretty quick work.

Hopefully it is just an issue with the hub and they'll swap it out ....

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 13 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hey bob2207, 

Thanks for posting and apologies for the connection problems. 

How did it go with the tech? Let me know if you still need help with this. 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
bob2207
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather ..

The engineer came and checked everything out. Hub was ok and he connected it directly to the network box a couple of doors away. He noted that there was "high upstream 47.9" and sent a call to "networks" to look at it in the next 48hrs. In addition he booked an engineer to install an HDU and felt sure that between Networks and this the problem would be fixed. The HDU was installed yesterday afternoon and we had two outages within a couple of hrs of him leaving.

So I called 150 again and explained the situation and there is another engineer visit scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Any ideas? ... 

Bob.

0 Kudos
bob2207
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 44
Flag for a moderator

So,

The saga continues. The engineer came yesterday, didn't know the background, so I had to explain it all to him. We had experienced at least two outages earlier in the day. He did all the usual checks and changed a splitter (in the network box I think ..). 

He too (like the engineer at the first visit) told me that there were general issues in the area and that could have been the cause of our outages. All very well but this has been every day for three weeks now and I can't believe that a general issue in the area could go unresolved for that length of time, so surely it's something specific to our installation.

He spoke to his manager, left me his number and said to call him if I had any more outages. If I did he said he had permission from his manager to swap the hub the next day and would do it as a matter of urgency.

We had an outage about 90 minutes after he left so I called him. We have had at least two more since. I have texted him and we spoke earlier this afternoon. He promised to call me back after he had checked with the team working in the area and mentioned swapping the hub on Monday ... not today.

I'm awaiting his call but am not hopeful. 

What's the escalation process for customers ... i.e. how do I get to speak to his boss, or someone higher up the management chain to get some proper attention to this before I switch back to TalkTalk?

Bob.

0 Kudos
bob2207
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Update as at 5:00pm Friday 1st June.

Jay, the engineer, just called. He repeated the fact that there were general issues in the are due to high demand and said he and his manager would like to come on Tuesday to check everything in detail and change the router.

Well, I suppose that's some sort of escalation ... but I have to wait another 3-4 days for it. I'll make a proper record of all the outages I have in the meantime ...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 44
Flag for a moderator

If its a high demand fault they can't fix it. changing your router will not help and it needs major network planning and work on the network. They are wasting your time if they think its high demand.

0 Kudos
bob2207
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

So everyone in the area (03) would be having similar problems to me if it's high demand? None of the engineers have mentioned anything like that and at least one of them has said that this is his area, so presumably he would be aware?

I don't suppose VM post would anything like "high demand" issues on Service Status .. would they? Inadequate network capacity probably not something any supplier would want to go public on ...

Bob.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 19 of 44
Flag for a moderator

No high demand is not classed as a fault on the fault pages.

Not everyone in area 03 will have the same problem. area codes can be serviced by 100's of different hardware and line cards. Even the same street can be supplied my more than one part of the network.

0 Kudos
bob2207
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again. I think I'll check with one or two of my neighbours who have VM to see whether it is just me or if there's a localised issue.

Rgds,

Bob.

0 Kudos