I've been having some minor issues with my internet for about 2 or so weeks now. It seems to have started occurring after one night where the hub rebooted itself, and I noticed it had either updated its firmware or there was a maintenance request (can't remember which came last, they were less than a week apart). The minor issues being minor packet loss and latency spikes, and that's really about it.
This morning though, I noticed several webpages were taking forever to load, and the wifi networks, both 2G and 5G, were cutting out now and again. I made sure all the cables were tight, then tried rebooting my hub but this made the issue worse, as I only had 2 upstream channels, both out of spec, after the reboot.
I tried rebooting it again and do have 4 upstream channels again, but they all appear to be maxxed or over max on the dBmV/power level. These levels keep changing. I noticed they also constantly change from 64 qam modulation to 32, to even 16, when refreshing the status page. I'm also getting some T3 timeouts. The upload speed is also really poor, sometimes being less than 1mbps when it's usually around 20mbps.
Tried phoning Virgin Media, was on the phone for about an hour and no one answered so I've given up for now. Hoping maybe someone might be able to help me on here, will likely try phoning Virgin again tomorrow anyway. I have a Super Hub 3 by the by, and am in area code 20 if that means anything.
Here's a live graph of my BQM (the 100% packet losses were me rebooting the router):
Your upstream connection is poor - power levels are very high, and modulation is inconsistent. I'll flag this for the forum staff, chances are they'll have to arrange a technician visit unless it's a known area fault that's already being worked on.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks
Thanks for the quick response. I have tried checking the service status page and phoning 0800 561 0061 and there's apparently no issues, but it wouldn't be the first time there's been some delay in them reporting faults.
I had similar issues about 2 years ago, on and off for about a month, and it did turn out to be an area fault.
My TV service is now also having issues, but it seems they've acknowledged the issues for both now at least on the service status page. The estimated fix is 10:15pm tonight. Hopefully it is indeed solved by then.
Thanks for posting and sorry to see you're having some issues with the connection.
I've been able to locate your account using your forum details and can see you've spoke with someone regarding this today- I've also had a look at the equipment, and can see there are some short term stability issues.
Sounds like we are now aware of an issue, if you can please keep us posted with how you get on with this after this evening.
The issue seems like it's resolved now. The hub rebooted itself about an hour or so ago, and there continued to be issues for another half hour, but then things seem to stabilised. The service status page now says there's no issues with the broadband (earlier than the estimated fix time), the upstream modulation doesn't seem to be fluctuating any more and have all remained at 64. The power levels are still a little high but seem to be in spec now (48-49.5), the upload speeds seem normal again, I'm no longer randomly getting disconnected from wifi and I'm no longer noticing packet loss on my BQM.
Hopefully it remains stable, I will update this post if I get any more issues.