cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection drops

trooperer
On our wavelength

Almost regularly, 2-3 times a day, my broadband modem would lose all internet connectivity for 4-5 minutes - both wired and wirelessly connected devices would not be able to access external IP addresses (internal traffic works fine, i.e I can ping one computer from another). After 5 minutes everything would be back to normal, speed test producing expected, high bandwidth results.

I've contacted support, they were apparently "seeing issues on their end as well", and supposedly opened a ticket. 2 days later I got a text confirming the "issue has been fixed", and that I should just restart my modem, which I did. However, this did not help, as the same thing continued to happen today.

FWIW, I have the Hub 4 and use it in "bridge" mode (i have my own wifi router).

Given the type of issue, I suspect it's either modem itself having some (power?) issues, or the local exchange box in my neighborhood, but my hands are tied and I don't know what to do next.

Can I ask for a modem replacement perhaps?

48 REPLIES 48

trooperer
On our wavelength

Unfortunately, the engineer did not leave any reference of any kind, which they usually did in the past (they would leave a leaflet with a reference number)

Yes, please, I would like to raise a formal complaint. Can you help me with this?

I honestly just want my internet to work reliably, but after over a month I am not sure how to handle this otherwise. There was another outage last night, and I'm sure there will be another outage in a few hours.

Thanks

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @trooperer

No worries, I'll send you a PM so I can get the complaint raised for you. 

Please look out for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of the Forum.

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

trooperer
On our wavelength

trooperer_0-1638058885323.png

Internet continues to break every day on midnight.

I will demand further compensation for these disturbances

trooperer
On our wavelength

trooperer_0-1638058989861.png

Same thing happens to me EVERY SINGLE DAY. Exchanged 3 routers (2 Hub4 and 1 Hub3). Downgraded from 1Gbps to 350Mbps. Changed all the cables in my home. 5 engineers visited in total. (more on how everything looked for the past 2 months here).

I had Virgin Media at my previous place (NW3). We never had this type of issues. This is CLEARLY RELATED TO THE NEIGHBOURHOOD.

Why is Virgin completely ignoring this issue? Please stop giving us generic answers like "we checked your modem" and "we will send an technician". THESE WILL NOT HELP as the issue is not related to anything in our homes.

Please stop saying "we are doing updates in early hours".

UPDATES SHOULD NOT CAUSE DISRUPTIONS.

EARLY HOURS DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE NOT USING THE SERVICE.

Please stop finding excuses and at least be honest that this can't be resolved, so that we can find other ISPs

Same thing happens to me EVERY SINGLE DAY. Exchanged 3 routers (2 Hub4 and 1 Hub3). Downgraded from 1Gbps to 350Mbps. Changed all the cables in my home. 5 engineers visited in total. (more on how everything looked for the past 2 months here).

I had Virgin Media at my previous place (NW3). We never had this type of issues. This is CLEARLY RELATED TO THE NEIGHBOURHOOD.

Why is Virgin completely ignoring this issue? Please stop giving us generic answers like "we checked your modem" and "we will send an technician". THESE WILL NOT HELP as the issue is not related to anything in our homes.

Please stop saying "we are doing updates in early hours".

UPDATES SHOULD NOT CAUSE DISRUPTIONS.

EARLY HOURS DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE NOT USING THE SERVICE.

Please stop finding excuses and at least be honest that this can't be resolved, so that we can find other ISPs

trooperer
On our wavelength

Every single day, a few minutes after midnight (sometimes it's 00:04, sometimes it's 00:29, etc), we suffer complete internet outage. No response on any external IP (e.g. pinging 8.8.8.8), for 5-20 minutes.

This has been happening for more than a month now, ever since we moved it to this house. I suspect it was happening even before we moved to the neighbourhood.

This issue is clearly related to the neighbourhood and not to my house (more details below why I think this is the case), so I ask Virgin to PLEASE escalate this to a manager. Looking at a very similar thread (linked here), it seems that this is really the only way subtle issues like this one can get resolved.

Things tried so far (with 4 different engineer visits):

• Replaced coax wires inside the house
  • Replaced connections in the box on the external wall of the house (I believe it's called an "omni box")
  • Changed the port in the distribution point, adjusting the signal from -28dB to -16dB
  • Added an equaliser and/or an attenuator
  • Replaced 2 Hub4 routers, and 1 Hub3 router

The issue is CLEARLY not inside the house. So again, PLEASE, escalate this to someone to take a look at the distribution boxes on the streets and network in the neighbourhood in general.

BQM stats (sharing just a few hand-picked dates here, but I can share all other days as well if needed)

2021-11-28

93fb63f3fd2f61c8b4a58ee6749393cf99a0ad67-28-11-2021

2021-11-27

4bd383e00b7b67e65e85f456fb9bf016e01863a3-27-11-2021

2021-11-24

2c18099a1c5f82d3d6cc82b8d6c237c214a9db9f-24-11-2021

2021-11-22

4090950c9b8d827f2845cf28c6e0dd7c1b2ec443-22-11-2021

2021-11-03

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What you havent said is whether the same thing happens to any of your neighbours connected to the same street cabinet? Can you get them to post their BQM on here as well?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John,

I dont mean to sound negative, but I'm not sure how I would do that? Should I go door to door asking everyone in the street whether they are on Virgin and what is their public IP address? We just moved in, so we don't really know our neighbours yet.

And to be honest, I can't do the job of a Virgin engineer any more. I already spent dozens of hours doing their job (looking at error logs, timeouts, signal levels, noise levels, wiring in the cabinet, resetting the router, trying modem/router mode, running ping monitoring from outside in and from inside out, replacing adapters, tracing where the coax cable goes through the walls, etc).

Even putting all other evidence aside, just one look at this cabinet tells me its long due for a revamp.

Clipboard01.jpgClipboard02.jpg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK.... we have a neighbours "Whatsapp" group just for sharing stuff like this.  Someone else needs to comment on the cabinet but it looks very similar to ours  🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.