Menu
Adamlanc
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent connection across the house

I'm in a student house of 8. Sitting next to the Router (Hitron CGNV4) when I've just reset it I can get a wireless connection of about 70mbps download & 10mbps upload which to be honest is good but I'm not sure how reflective that is of the package we're receiving. Sometimes I can't even get onto speedtest.net to even test it.

I have a wired TP-link powerline adapter up to my room on the 3rd floor in which I get connection, when I do I can either get 800kbps or 80kbps download speed, which eventually just drops out and with luck will come back in an hour or so. 

The only things that I can think of are either all 8 of us having one or two devices which just overload the router even though I do think the download speed should be enough & doesn't really explain me having a wired connection of 80kbps.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent connection across the house

Hitron Router? Are you in Eire or in the UK on a business package? This forum is for UK residential users.
But anyway - first thing to check is what package are you on - an upload of 10mbps suggests to me its the 100 download package - in which case 70mbps download on wifi isnt too bad?
Note that powerline adapters will attenuate the speeds - not sure by how much with the model you have and also depends on the state/performance of your electricity circuits.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Adamlanc
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Apologies I must be on the business package, as we are renting it's the estate agents who arrange the package for us so my mistake.

You're right in that 70mbs isn't too bad at all it's just that doesn't hold & can't handle more than 2 or 3 devices before everyone seems to lose it. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If its just a wifi issue then see whether the package allows you to have free boosters. If not you could get your own (is your TP link one wifi?) or wireless access point(s) ethernet cabled into the Hub.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos