cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection (WiFi & Ethernet)

loudmahoney
Just joined

For the past few months my connection has been dropping out a lot. It'll be fine for half a day but then during the rest of it, the connection drops out every couple of minutes for anywhere between a few seconds to a full minute. This happens with both WiFi and Ethernet connections.

I've tried turning the hub off and on again and factory resetting it multiple times. Sometimes it will fix it for a few hours but then it goes right back to cutting out, sometimes it won't do anything at all.

This is really beginning to get frustrating, but I'd rather fix it myself if possible. Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Cutting and pasting near enough directly from another similar post:  The likely causes of a poor performance are noise or power level problems, and those can't be fixed remotely or by you.  You can phone up and take your chances with the grim offshore support, personally I'd rely on this forum.  The only measures within your grasp are checking the coax lead into the hub is properly fixed and the securing nuts are finger tight, a simple reboot that you've probably already tried, and a pinhole reset that clears the hubs settings and reloads the firmware.

If those haven't worked then (after the hub has been running continuously for a good few hours since last restart, ideally 24 hours), connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  (I'm assuming the hub is in normal router mode).  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts. If those are visible the staff here can book you a technician visit.

Additionally, you might want to setup a Broadband Quality Monitor over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening (no screenshots, and don't copy the web address of the graph you can see, it won't work for us).  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi loudmahoney

Sorry to hear of the broadband connection issues you've been experiencing, we understand the frustration this can cause and appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums. Welcome to the community.

From looking at your connection and equipment, it appears there are some issues with the power levels, we aren't able to rectify these remotely and a technician will be required. I'm going to send you a Private Message to get some more details from you to arrange this.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Rob