cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection -F009247504

Adamhomer
Tuning in

After six weeks of this going on. Two of us working from home and 2 different engineers coming out. They finally accepted it was a fault in the cabinet on the street (we pray). They gave me a remedy number of F009247504 and said it would be 9am today.

No sign as yet. So frustrating, as it drops in and out for short periods all day. The last engineer said we had thousands of drop outs since this issue.

Also struggle with Netflix etc. And live TV, as it freezes a lot. 

Also cannot use Playstation online, as the disconnections mean that they are saying they will suspend my account, due to me constantly disconnecting when using online against other player's.

The main thing is to get this resolved, then I can arrange compensation later.

Hopefully a Virgin admin will see this post.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What do the Area Field Managers do? My engineers all say they have contacted on my behalf. 

Some AFM's are excellent, hands-on managers who understand the technology they support, do a great of juggling the limited resources they have against the demands of running ageing and complex infrastructure, manage their teams well, and are responsive to escalated issues. 

The evidence suggests that some AFM, on the other hand, are idle plonkers who are permanently "missing in action", provide no leadership, and get paid as much as the individuals described above.   

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What does it report about fix times on 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

All a VM person on here can do is reiterate what that should report.

Lets see the Hub data and connection on a BQM.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle or top/right of the first page up and then just copy/paste the normal “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Adamhomer,

Thank you for your post. I'm so sorry to hear that you've had some issues with your connection recently.

I've checked that fault ticket reference number provided and it appears to be closed as fixed. Can you please confirm if your issues are ongoing today, or have they now been rectified?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Adamhomer
Tuning in

Firstly thank you to John for posting some suggestions. Appreciate that.

For Zach. Basically, no, not repaired. The ladies on retention let me know that the field managers have had a ticket/remedy set up since 15 August and it gets changed constantly when a more pressing job comes up. So a "level 1 or 2". Ours is 4 as intermittent. They just push it to next day, close the remedy ticket and set up another.

I noticed a Virgin van opposite on Saturday and the technician was called out for same issue and no issues in the property opposite. I explained what I'd been told about the cabinet and he agreed it seemed most likely, but like the last few engineers, only certain people can touch certain parts of the cabinet. He said he'd call it in for me.

I've got another coming today between 4-7, which I imagine will be pointless to be very honest, but Virgin insisted.

Our downstairs neighbours have called me today to ask if I've had problems. They only really use for YouTube, so probably hadn't realised it's been going on for almost two months.

I've also pointed out that this all started after an area power cut, so reckon it's damaged something in the outside cabinet. Which Virgin are probably aware of but just don't come to repair as "only intermittent".

When you do a telephone job that relies on WiFi and cannot use your console due to disconnections in your down time, it's really not fit for purpose. 

Hoping as more have reported, someone will deem it important soon. 

If I were certainly that leaving Virgin would resolve the issue, I would have a couple of weeks ago, but not convinced, due to issue being external.

All very frustrating as as even though I had a note put on the tech team still ask all the same pointless, scripted questions every time....

Thank you, look forward to your reply.

Adam.

Adamhomer
Tuning in

Hi Zach.

Another engineer yesterday. 4th guy. He thought he'd found something and moved a cable etc.

But nope, nothing has changed. VM retentions have been very polite, but ultimately say theres nothing they can do to escalate the REMEDY being carried out? 

What do the Area Field Managers do? My engineers all say they have contacted on my behalf. 

The retention team admitted that I'm not the only person from my postcode calling regularly about this.

I've had about 6-7 1 hour phone calls regarding this. 

The fix is due again today by 2pm under the latest code of F009222244.

I can only see a couple of options at the moment. Some kind of unlimited data plan provided to me until Virgin decide to look at this issue that has been going on since the 17th July (acknowledged by Virgin on the 15th August) or letting me cancel my contract early (at least the broadband part without charge). I'd rather not do this as it means my sports/TV package will no doubt become less competitive and I've been with Virgin for 15 years. However if Virgin are telling me all I can do is wait, after two months, it's really not good enough.

Had two full drop outs between 8 and 8.30 this morning, which means I lose calls to vulnerable people looking for NHS transport.

Thanks Adam. 

Adam - if you work for the NHS - your IT team can give you a 4g sim for backup purposes - there's no need to lose calls!

If they won't / can't then they need to give you office space with a connection to N3.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Adamhomer
Tuning in

Hi lotharmat

Thanks for the suggestion, sadly it's a separate contract to NHS, so they would ask me to come into the office, which means losing 2 hours a day and additional costs.

Baffling how Virgin won't/can't escalate a job that's been left for so long. Yet will send engineer after engineer, even though they are probably aware it won't fix the issue as it's not in my home! 

Thanks! 👍

Some AFM's are excellent, hands-on managers who understand the technology they support, do a great of juggling the limited resources they have against the demands of running ageing and complex infrastructure, manage their teams well, and are responsive to escalated issues. 

The evidence suggests that some AFM, on the other hand, are idle plonkers who are permanently "missing in action", provide no leadership, and get paid as much as the individuals described above.   

Adamhomer
Tuning in

Hi Andrew-G. 

Yes it would seem so. 

Virgin basically say the issue is a P4 and if a P1 or 2 comes up. (I.e total loss of service I assume) then the job gets put back. 

So they just put it back every day. Meanwhile, they are sending engineer after engineer into people's homes, with no fix possible. 

The mind truly boggles....

Well, how about upping the ante?  You mentioned the possibility of leaving, but worry about consequences on a sports package you might have to keep? 

If VM can't reliably provide all aspects of a package bought as a bundle, then you should be able to leave that bundled contract without penalty, and if VM try and wheedle out of that by whining that they are different contracts despite being agreed at the same time, and paid under the same collective payment, then you can escalate to CISAS along with a demand for compensation.  Consider what you'd do if VM agree to release you without penalty from the contract including all services - so look around, see which ISP and bundles you'd choose.  

Next up, I'd suggest complaining to Ofcom about VM's (reported) repeated closure of fault complaints without action, and failure to handle internal escalations.  Directly Ofcom won't get involved, but this sounds like a direct breach of item four of the Ofcom Fairness Commitments that VM agreed to in 2019, and it raises the pressure on VM whose name is mud with Ofcom at the moment.

It really shouldn't be necessary to do all of this just to get VM to deliver their contracted service reliably, I suspect that the company's broken processes and total absence of customer focus means you will be looking at both taking the matter to CISAS and to Ofcom.

If need be, you can drag VM to the arbitration service CISAS with a case that the company will almost certainly lose, and will incur costs that make that an expensive outcome