cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent broadband issues

ModTeam

Hi all,

Unfortunately we have seen a repeat of an earlier issue which is causing intermittent broadband connectivity problems for some Virgin Media customers. We apologise again to those impacted our teams are continuing to work flat out to find the root cause of the problem and fix it.

Regards,

Community Moderator Team 

112 REPLIES 112

RR-IT-GUY
Rising star

Hi All,

As you all know by now there is a mass outage at Virgin Media,.

My Team and I have found the issue to be with Virgin Media's DNS servers, if you manually configure your devices's DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1 you will use an alternative DNS provider circumventing the virgin media DNS server issues.

Virgin media should take note of this and ideally should reconfigure every router's DNS settings to push out googles DNS via DHCP to get around this issue.

This has worked for Virgin Media business a swell as residential customers. If it works for you hit the like and let us know.

Many thanks

RR

My bet is they never fixed what happened earlier. It just kind of started working and in true virgin style they thought 'stroke of luck' and downed tools. Now it's come back to bite me. This is a shambles!

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

Think Virginmedia need to think about next hub to have 4 or 5g sim chip inside as a backup so when it goes down it will connect to 4g or 5g as a backup.

More people work from home now

HG5 having same problems

Will Virgin be reimbursing?

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Strange as I am running AdGuard's DNS but will add the numbers manually to the network settings.

no problem, let us know how you get on, it worked for me and a few of my business customers

RayW2
Dialled in

Just fix it and stop screwing people about!!!

Running my Hub 5 in modem mode, with OpenDNS and still facing the issue. Looking at the network log on the Hub 5 it does not appear to be an issue with DNS. 

It’s always best to be positive but we all have crappy days.

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Gig1

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RR-IT-GUY wrote:

Hi All,

Virgin media should take note of this and ideally should reconfigure every router's DNS settings to push out googles DNS via DHCP to get around this issue.

VM won’t do this at router level. Their V6 & V360 boxes run in internal IPs, so the boxes will only work properly if connected to VMs DNS kit.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

Internet been down all day here, BH postcode, area 20.

Unable to log into anything through the fibre internet.

Resorting to using my phone and 4g data!! 

Unable to access any email, even using Windows mail. 

Strangely, the last e-mail I received last night, was from VM telling me that my bill was going UP from £140 to £163 a month!!

Then, today, no internet!! WONDERFUL... 

Prices UP, service DOWN.

Currently out of contract, so after 12 hours with NO INTERNET, looking to walk away from this bunch of CLOWNS...🤡