cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent and persistent packet loss

vmdg_bmth
On our wavelength

I have for a few weeks now seen intermittent packet loss on my internet connection.

In order to test this I have set up a SmokePing server from inside my network to test response times to local and remote endpoints (10.0.0.1 and 8.8.8.8).

I have also set up a Broadband Quality Monitor for my connection to test connectivity from outside the network.

From inside my network, I can't see issues with pings to my router however, I can see issues when pinging Google's DNS servers for example.

From outside my network, I am also seeing around a 10% packet loss at peak hours.

I would post the screenshots of the graphs but the last time I did this, my post was deleted.

Can someone look into this, please?

8 REPLIES 8

vmdg_bmth
On our wavelength

Here's an attempt to upload the BQM for the last day.

You can see around 02:00 this morning something had changed and the packet loss was no longer an issue.

Screenshot at 2021-09-28 11-25-39.png

Just got off the phone with Virgin Media who advised me there's an issue in the area despite the service checker not having any knowledge of an issue in the area. How it can not state there's an issue in the area is beyond me as I was told this had been going on for the last week.

I have been told this could be fixed in an hour, would be fixed in 24 hours, but might not be fixed for up to another week.

The same old story, with the same disappointing service, and the same lack of any monetary compensation following on from these issues.

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums, vmdg_bmth,

Sorry to hear that you have been having connections issues with your broadband. I've run some remote diagnostics on your connections, and it does indicate that you are currently being affected by a local area fault for SNR  ref#F009302397 and we are working to get this sorted as quickly as possible. The current ETA fix time is 04 OCT 2021 09:00. Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Corey C

vmdg_bmth
On our wavelength

It actually seems like my issue was resolved before you checked my service so not sure how that works out.

It's been relatively stable for a little while so I hope Virgin Media don't continue to degrade my service any further.

Also on the note of constantly moving ETA's, it would be much more helpful if you could provide further information on the issues so I could at least get a bit more understanding. At a bare minimum, this would stop me from constantly wanting to seek more information for you about the issues that have been plagueing me for months now.

Every time I've raised this, it's been an SNR issue. While I'm sure this is a nice blanket term, it would be much more useful to get some tangible information.

Thanks for coming back to us vmdg_bmth.

We're happy to hear that your connection has been stable for a while now. The signal to noise ratio (SNR) causes intermittent services with Virgin fibre, Voice and TV.

Unfortunately, when this issue occurs we can only give estimated fix times, as this fault is more complex, and will take longer to fix than initially thought. 

This fault may not be listed on our service status page, so you may have to check in here or with the team for further updates. 

We have checked again this morning for you and the estimated fix time has moved again until the 5th of October, so if you are experiencing any other issues, it will be due to this.

Kind regards Jodi. 

vmdg_bmth
On our wavelength

I've had a stable experience for about a week now but tonight I'm seeing excessive packet loss yet again.

Is this the same issue that your engineers are incapable of fixing or is this yet another SNR issue?

My experience has been nothing but constant issues for the last few years and yet I see no compensation because a degraded service doesn't fall within your terms.

Hi vmdg_bmth, 

Thanks for coming back to us here in the Community and apologies to hear that the issue is back. 

Checking the account it looks as though the SNR fault has been cleared so this isn't something that is affecting you any longer. I've had a look at your network and Hub stats and it looks like your downstream power levels are quite high and out of range. 

We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi vmdg_bmth,

Thanks for coming back to us via private message. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM Just go to My Account > Track your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. 

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. 

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs