cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent WiFi speed and drop off

sah4386
Tuning in

For the past 3-4 months, after 1-3 minutes of streaming something which is ‘live’ on bbc iplayer, itv, Virgin tv go app etc, have all started buffering, playing at ultra low quality, and the device even disconnecting from the wifi entirely. This only happens watching live things such as BBC1 on iplayer, or Live Bt Sport on Virgin tv go app…
When reconnecting the device back to the WiFi, it will play okay again for the 1-2 mins and repeat! Very odd. When tested, the wireless speed is pretty good (around 60mbps)
Also, if watching Netflix or anything ‘on demand’ which isn’t ‘live’ then it plays okay…

We had a gentleman from Virgin come and replace our router in April but it’s made no difference. We’ve tried splitting the bandwidths to 2.4 and 5ghz separately with no success, and bought mesh WiFi routers to replace the standard router, again without success .

Tried phoning customer services but just get the usual automated restart the router etc and no faults then cut off.

Having to use 4G on our phones so often we’ve had to upgrade our data plans!

Can anyone help?

9 REPLIES 9

lotharmat
Community elder
What happens on a wired connection?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

When using a wired Ethernet connection it is always very fast and we have zero issues, hence why whenever an engineer comes out they find no faults, as the speed to the home is fine. it is purely a wireless issue,  But it is consistent and I’m out of ideas!

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@sah4386 wrote:

When using a wired Ethernet connection it is always very fast and we have zero issues, hence why whenever an engineer comes out they find no faults, as the speed to the home is fine. it is purely a wireless issue,  But it is consistent and I’m out of ideas!

then with respect the problem is not VM's - wifi is for you to solve - you seem to have tried to do that but it continues - you mention a mesh system - but also splitting the bands on the hub? - is the hub in modem mode - if so then the problem is the mesh setup which certainly is not VM's proplem - if notthen how is the mesh system set up and are you sure you are connecting to it and not the hubs wifi

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I have tried the following,

having the router as standard from VM

having the VM router split to two freq.

having the VM router in modem mode using mesh.

All have the same result of buffering when watching live streams. Wondering wether there could be interference somewhere in the home, as we have a ring doorbell and ring house alarm which works on Z wave

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the test is do you get the same problems wired so 3 further tests

1 - hub in router mode with the mesh system disconnected - wired connection to hub 

2 - hub in modem mode again with mesh system disconnected - wired connection to hub

3 - hub in modem mode - mesh system connected and wired connection to mesh

all three are then wired tests - the first 2 are more for reference as the 3rd one should be the best long term option - if all is good then work around option 3 you need to change or add one thing at a time - doorbell for example and see whats causing the buffering problem

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
And tell us what "wifi mesh routers" you bought !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

That’s great, I’ll try all this out 🙂 many thanks for your help! X

Deco tp-link x

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Which model of Deco?

Connect the Deco's again like this.

On the first Deco unit go into its settings and set it connection to be to set up the DHCP (& Nat) mode. Then Disconnect all cables from it and unplug it disconnect the other Deco's too. Next ut the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch the first Deco unit back on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and ONLY then put in the WAN cable to the VM hub.

NOW… power up the VM hub and you should get a connection when it initialises - 5'. Finally, use the recommended App to connect other Deco units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.