cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Signal Issue In Your Area

RadicalRooster
Tuning in

Hi all,

I've recently moved house - At my last address my Virgin broadband connection was always very reliable. I think it went down once in three years. By connection I mean connection to the internet, not WiFi signal.

At my new house however, my connection seems to drop multiple times per week.

I had an engineer set everything up, he did multiple tests and was here a long time. Since then I've tried reaching out on social media and on Virgin's phone line, but both were pretty useless unfortunately.

The only explanation I kept getting was asking me to 'check everything is plugged in' and to 'reset my Superhub 3', which I of course did right at the beginning.

Running a test this morning via the Virgin status page says there's an:

'Intermittent signal issue in your area'

That doesn't mean a lot to me. Calling again today I'm told 'it will be fixed as soon as possible'.

It's been a month of dropping connection now, does anyone have any advice in terms of how I can escalate this to get this solved?

26 REPLIES 26

RadicalRooster
Tuning in

Bump... 24 hours no response - Any help greatly appreciated!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VMs staff can take 2 or 3 days to get to your post and in very busy times up to a week. Posts are looked at in order so dumping your post only puts you at the bottom of the queue. Have you tried:

Check with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page http://www.virginmedia.com/servicechecker

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have tried calling many times over the past month. I seem to be put through the same script of checking cables and restarting my Superhub 3 or sometimes being told they are aware of 'the issue' and it will be fixed as quickly as possible.

I have also tried the service checker, which informed me of the 'Intermittent Signal Issue In Your Area', which then lead me to here.

Hi RadicalRooster

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of any issues with the broadband. I can see you've had a tech visit since posting. I hope everything is sorted but if you are having issues still, please let me know and I'll be only too pleased to help.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

hi, RadicalRooster, hope this is ok to post here, but I have exactly the same problem as yourself, in that just recently my connection is very sketchy (to say the least!) and, having done the same as yourself, arrived with the same answer.  Can you let me know if the engineer visit mentioned was to correct this problem as I may have to also request a visit?  Thank you

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RadicalRooster wrote:

Many thanks for your reply.

I have also tried the service checker, which informed me of the 'Intermittent Signal Issue In Your Area', which then lead me to here.

Also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.  Then set up a BQM where these "intermittent signals" will be clearly visible - unless they are just wifi ones.

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@hcoffield wrote:

hi, RadicalRooster, hope this is ok to post here, but I have exactly the same problem as yourself, in that just recently my connection is very sketchy (to say the least!) and, having done the same as yourself, arrived with the same answer.  Can you let me know if the engineer visit mentioned was to correct this problem as I may have to also request a visit?  Thank you

It’s never the same problem unless you’re on the same street connected to the same cabinet. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Thanks for that, sorry 

Thank you.  I am not all that tech savvy which is why I am so bummed that I am having problems with using my laptop - pages loading is reminding me of old dial up connections!

I will follow your link and see if I can work out what to do, thanks