Menu
hamant117
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent DNS error after waking my PC

Hi,

I've been having a few issues recently with my internet connection. My desktop PC, which is wired directly to my Hub 3.0 has been having issues connecting to the internet which appear to be DNS related. The error I see in Chrome is: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

And when I run the Windows network troubleshooter, it returns the followng result: Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server). My Windows network settings are default, i.e. I havent changed them since the initial installation.

The issue seems to be intermittent (usually when the computer wakes) and I usually get around it by rebooting or resetting the network adapter. At first, I thought it was only on my PC, but my iPad, my wife's latptop and my 2nd desktop PC also experience the same issue intermittently. When these devices have this issues, my other devices are still working, such as Netflix on my TV or my iPhone/iPad, so the WAN connection is defintely still working.
Virgin Media have been out to house and changed some cables/connectors, replaced the hub and did some jiggery pokery at the cabinet which definitely helped my speed slightly, but I still get this connection issue occasionally.

I also noticed that when I'm unable to conenct to the internet, my LAN connections are still fine. For example, I can still connect to my NAS and file server. When I try to access the Hub status page (using 192.168.0.1), instead of the Virgin login, I get a tp-link login page. I do have an 8-port tp-link switch in my living room, but as far as I was aware, it's an unmanaged switch without an Admin page.

When I rang Virgin tech support, the engineer was pretty useless, but interestingly, they did say that I had too many devices connected and that they were seeing congestion in my network. I'm not sure how accurate this is because every time I do a speed test, I'm getting the full 200mbps, whether its from my wired pc or my wireless devices.

Currently, the Hub status page shows there more than ethernet connected devices and zero wireless connected devices. I don't use the wireless on the Hub 3.0, instead I have a Ubiquiti access point which has a wired connection into a 24-port Netgear switch in the loft. Is 29 devices too many, especially when the majority are smart devices which probably don't create a lot of traffic? What's the maximum number of devices that the Hub 3.0 can support?

I guess my my network is slightly more complex than the average home;

From the Virgin Media Hub 3.0, I have the following wired connections;
1) A connection to my desktop PC.
2) A connection to an Aruba Remote Acces Point which creates a wireless network that mimics my work corporate network which I connect my work laptop to. More details at the following link; https://www.arubanetworks.com/en-gb/products/networking/remote-access-points/
3) A connection to a 24 port Netgear switch which is in my loft.
4) A connection to an X-Box One console.

From the 24-port Netgear switch in the loft, I have the following connections;
1) A Raspberry Pi which is used as a Ubiquiti Controller for my wireless access point.
2) A second Raspberry Pi which is used as a file server.
3) A third Raspberry Pi which is used for HomeAssistant (home automation software).
4) An Ikea Tradfri Hub for my Ikea blinds.
5) An Ubiquiti wireless access point (Unifi A/C Pro). This is what I use for my home WiFi network (5ghz & 2.4ghz).
6) My CCTV DVR.
7) Philips Hue Bridge
😎 An 8-port TP-Link switch in my living room.

From the 8-port switch in my living room, I have the following connections;
1) Synology NAS
2) TV
3) Sky Q box
4) My wife's work laptop
5) Apple TV
6) A/V receiver
7) A 2nd Xbox One

And finally, connected to my Ubiquiti wireless access point;
1) 6 WiFi light bulbs
2) 2 Google Home mini's
3) 3 phones
4) iPad
5) 6 smart plugs
Most of these devices are connected to the WiFi network at the same time.

Phew...thats a lot of devices. As I mentioned above, the Hub status page sees more than 30 connected devices.

I'm debating whether it's worth switching the Hub to modem mode and getting a high end router, especially if the Hub can't handle all of my devices.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Ham.

0 Kudos
Ifti86uk
Joining in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent DNS error after waking my PC

To sort this issue out go grab a pen an press the little reset button on the back of your hub 3, after your hub 3 is booted up don't login to the hub just leave it the settings, if your hard wired via ethernet thats fine just restart your pc. Don't use tp link they are jus shyt they over heat an cause so much issues. If you wanna get a range booster. Get a premium Netgear Nighthawk an you will never have any problems.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It’s concerning that you get a tp-link login page when you browse 192.168.0.1 -  even if if it’s occasional.. suspect that this is the root cause of the issue, though I’d also expect there to be mayhem on the network if you genuinely had a duplicate IP address on the network for the default gateway... so I’m a bit on the fence... 😉

is the switch the only tp link device on the network or are the smart plugs also tp link? Any other tp link stuff?

what is the model of  the switch?

As for whether you should buy a better router.. it’s an easy yes from me, as the hub is crap and you’ve got quite a lot going on on your network - if for no other reason than to give you a little more flexibility and control going forward.. 

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How is the switch in the loft connected to the Hub, direct wired ethernet or via power line adapters? The TP-Link login page, you occasional see, is there no indication on the splash screen as to what type of device it might be? Lastly, what's the model number of the TP-Link switch?

0 Kudos
hamant117
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The model of the TP-Link switch is TL-SG108E.
I also have 3 x TP-Link Kasa HS100 and 2 x TP-Link Kasa KP303.

I think you might be right and it's the switch that's causing the issue. Just had a quick Google and it seems the switch is possibly configurable to some extent using something called TP-Link Easy Smart Configuration Utility which is a Windows application. This is news to me and something I need to double check.
I found the following information in the instructions for the Utility...
If you enable DHCP setting, the switch will try to obtain IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway from the DHCP server in the network. If the switch cannot get IP settings from the DHCP server, it will use the default IP address of 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

So there's a chance, that if that switch is configurable and since I havent performed any configuration, then it's picking up the default IP address. If that turns out to be the case, I still think it's strange that my PC, which is plugged directly into my Hub 3.0 would find the switch at that address instead of itself.

Any suggestions on routers? I was thinking of getting the Ubiquiti USG or USG Pro and connecting that directly to the Netgear switch in my loft. That switch would then feed everything that is wired and the Ubiquti wireless access point would cater for the WiFi devices.

0 Kudos
hamant117
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The TP-Link switch is connected directly into the 24 port Netgear Switch.  It's a TP-Link TL-SG108E;

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202001/20200103/TL-SG116E(UN)1.2SG108ESG105E_Datasheet.pdf

On futher digging, it appears it does have a Web Based GUI. 🤔

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You should sort the IP conflict as soon as you can - suspect that this will cure it.

As for router recommendations.. if you like the unifi range, the USG is an option, though it's going to struggle to hit anything over 250meg if you're running anything on it (IPS/IDS etc..) as it's not the most powerful device.. the UDM pro is capable of gig with all the whizzbang stuff switched on tho, but comes at a cost.

Alternatively, any decent router from ASUS, Netgear, Zyxel or TP-Link should be fine..

if you like to tinker, then things like OPNsense, pfSense or even Sophos XG home edition are options, though you'll need a pc with two NICs (ideally) to run them.. fanless mini-pc's are available on amazon at a reasonable price (or if you can wait a few weeks, aliexpress)..

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It would be interesting if you could set DNS to other DNS on a PC and see if that helps like VM other DNS 194.168.4.123 or 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9

I can't remember if the hub 3 passes DNS IP to the devices or by 192.168.0.1 maybe lots of DNS is happening and NAT is conflicting on source port to the DNS or 192.168.0.1 can't handle many DNS requests.

So yes get a better router.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That TP-Link switch is not unmanaged and does indeed have a web-based interface. By default it picks up an IP address via DHCP so it 'shouldn't' clash with anything, but it's possible that sometime in the past it has been statically set to 192.168.0.1 which would play havoc with other devices.

You should be able to check if this is the case by connecting just your PC to the switch via ethernet, give your PC a suitable IP address and see if you can ping 192.168.0.1. If it responds then there's the culprit and you will need to access the web interface for it and change the address. Alternatively if you haven't configured any settings on it (which seems likely as you weren't aware that it could be configured), it may be easier to see if it can be factory reset easily.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Actually I've had another thought, the Synology - I trust you have disabled the DHCP service on it, unless that it supposed to be doing DHCP and you have disabled that feature on the Hub?

And secondly, where is the VM Hub? Is it in your living room? Am I right in saying then, that there is an ethernet cable from wherever the Hub is, to the switch in the loft, and then another ethernet cable from this switch down to the living room and connected to the TP-Link switch?

0 Kudos