cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Connections

sammym871
Tuning in

I am having issues, multiple times a day, where the connection seems to drop from my laptop.  It shows I am connected to the internet but I lose my remote connection for work and Teams disconnects.  Other devices are unaffected although I can sometimes see the speed dropping.  I have been running speed tests on both my laptop and mobile when this happens - although a lot of time time this won't work on the laptop as it can't connect to the webpage to do this.  Once it connects itself, I run another speed test to see the difference.  I have been keeping a log of this over the last 24 hours (although only during working hours as this is when I'm using my laptop.  

DateTimeDownload speedUpload SpeedDevice
30/08/202111:2123.17.73Mobile
 11:210.240.18Laptop
 12:0175.46.44Laptop
 13:2024.65.11Laptop
 13:2018.67.99Mobile
 14:0017.70.84Mobile
 14:00won't connectwon't connectLaptop
 14:0169.49.11Laptop
31/08/202108:5051.67.7Mobile
 08:50won't connectwon't connectLaptop
 08:5365.27.25Laptop
 09:4315.30.53Mobile
  54.50.08Laptop
 10:51won't connectwon't connectLaptop
 10:5229.78.15Mobile
 12:2618.36.8Mobile
 12:26won't connectwon't connectLaptop
 12:2760.39.32Laptop
 13:0342.38.05Mobile
 13:03won't connectwon't connectLaptop

Can someone have a look to see if anything is happening at these times which is reducing the speed.  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Another well regarded option on here is using a Mesh - e.g. the TP-Link Deco S4 or M4 3-pack mesh system for ~£100. I have 3 mates who all use the next model up (bigger houses) M5's - and they are all well pleased and get full wifi coverage and the benefit of extra ethernet ports for direct connections on the upstairs units as well. Worth taking a look at that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is this over wifi or on ethernet connections?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It's over WiFi. Thanks.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Obvious question then... what happens on the laptop connected on a Cat5e or better ethernet cable - just for testing. If it is ok on ethernet then you have a wifi issue that is best sorted by yourself getting better quality wifi equipment

That said my neighbour was having similar teams/zoom issues on wifi. I told her to get a ~30m run of ethernet cable and plug that into her laptop and Hub for the duration of the online meetings - thereafter just disconnect it, roll it up and put into the "bits" cupboard until next time. She did this at the start of lockdown and hasnt had a single disconnect since. Cable connection are always the most stable way to connect

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah ethernet cable probably the best solution (if it works) but router is downstairs, I'm upstairs so not ideal having it running through the house.  Especially up stairs where it could be a bit hazardous with 2 kids and a dog.  I'll see if the one I have is long enough to test it out.  

Re. better wifi equipment - should virgin be providing this if what they've given me isn't good enough??

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s)

Alternatively, my lad is a serious internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming but running cable to his room was problematic. So he uses a pair of Solwise AC1200 powerline adapters. His PC/Xbox/PS3 can now all be "wired" - with short Cat6 cables – back to the wireless router downstairs and he gets a solid 60-70Mbps on our V200 package - he hasn't complained once in years!

Should work just as well for Teams/zoom. Some of them have wifi too. This is an example albeit its ports are 10/100 and not GB ones - but as speeds are attenuated somewhat it shouldnt matter to much

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/

Worth considering whether that will work for your house on your mains circuits, the two circuits must go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most do) and be free of any "noise". You can also add a wifi access point alongside to boost that up there as well.

For background info see...

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

--------------------
John
--------------------

That's all really helpful.  Thank you for that.  I'll look into it.  I'm on the M100 fibre broadband package so wouldn't qualify for the pod.  I've tried boosters before but they've caused other problems so I'll have a look at your other suggestions.  Looking to see if I can borrow a long ethernet cable in the meantime to test that out.

Thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Another well regarded option on here is using a Mesh - e.g. the TP-Link Deco S4 or M4 3-pack mesh system for ~£100. I have 3 mates who all use the next model up (bigger houses) M5's - and they are all well pleased and get full wifi coverage and the benefit of extra ethernet ports for direct connections on the upstairs units as well. Worth taking a look at that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hey @sammym871,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issues here on our forums.

I have been able to locate your account and been able to run some tests on your connection and the local area network, I cannot find anything that would be causing the issues that you're having. 

Would you be able to setup a BQM using this link here this would help us determine if there are issues at particular times of the day and might help us diagnose the issues better for you.

Regards,

Steven_L