cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Broadband

DanWazz
Tuning in

Was away over the weekend but since I have gotten home on Monday the broadband has been on and off every 5 to 10 minutes.

Engineer has come out and said downstream was far too high and has lowered this by changing port in the cab and also reducing the signal using attenuators.

What doesn't help the situation is that every time I book an engineer I'm getting texts stating they are booked on different days to what they say over the phone... Plus I need the internet for my work! Losing money by only having a few minutes of solid internet each day...

Could a new hub not be sent out with the engineers visit or one posted out next day delivery? 

3 REPLIES 3

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DanWazz, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us in the Forums. 

I'm sorry to hear you've had some issues with your WiFi connection. When an engineer comes out to check things, they do make sure the Hub is working as it should be. If they've not offered a replacement then it means you don't need one. 

Checking our systems, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power levels, uptime and time outs. There are no faults open that may be affecting you either. 

There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

Please keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath, thanks for the reply...

In the end I got a second engineer out who replaced the hub and this has resolved the issue now 😊

Unfortunately working in IT myself means I can diagnose the issues but not convince VM that the issue lies in a certain area until they pop round, run mostly the same checks that I have done and then they come to the same conclusion, so was a bit frustrating when they sent an engineer out without a new Hub after explaining to them that I was 90% sure that was the root cause of the issue.

The other big problem is that initially I had a text to say engineer would be round on Thursday 21st between 8am and 12 and no one turned up, when I contacted VM again they said I was wrong and engineer was coming Wednesday 27th and denied that I ever got the text stating the 21st (I still have the text as evidence) I also have been told that I am paying for 24 hour response time on issues... Yet do not get that at all.

After I reported as a complaint, I was told just to reboot the router and reposition it etc etc and didn't actually have my complaint dealt with.

I used to think VM has the best customer service... Unfortunately my views on that have changed dramatically over the last week.

Hey DanWazz, thank you for reaching back out and letting us know your issues is now resolved. 

However I am sad to hear about the experience you have received along the way. 

I would like to look into this and look at raising you a complaint.

To do this I will send you a PM, please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?