Menu
adrbud
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Intermitten connection

Hello everyone,

I'm having issue in terms of intermittent broadband. The connection drops for a minute or two and this is happening during the day, evenings or even nights at random times. I went through whole "service status" on the website and everything seems to be ok but it is still happening. Power light on my HUB 3.0 is solid yellow. I have this problem for weeks now. Can someone please help?

Kind regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermitten connection

That sounds like its just a wifi issue. What happens on a device connected directly into the hub on an ethernet cable? Does it also drop when a wifi one does?

Have you tried separating the 2.4/5 GHz wifi bands and disabling channel optimisation?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
adrbud
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you can just connect any laptop or computer port by ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) - via an adapter if necessary and see how that performs.

Meanwhile...

Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network SSID's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - adrbud_2 & adrbud_5) -- use the same password for both.  Then, click apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
adrbud
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John. I appreciate your help. I will give it a go.

Best wishes,
Adrian
0 Kudos
adrbud
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

I have followed your instruction. I disabled “channel optimisation” and set up 2.4 & 5 GHz network manually. It helps, but didn't sort out the problem totally. I still have intermittent connection, but it is happening very rarely, once every two day - still varied time during a day. Generally is better than it was before. I have also connected my laptop via ethernet cable and there is no problem with internet during this intermittent connection, so it is clearly something with wifi. Would you recommend anything else ? Do you think that getting a new HUB would help ?

Kind reagards,

Adrian.

0 Kudos