Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Intermitent Wifi Connection

Hi

Looking for some help. For the last few weeks my wifi connection has been disconnecting multiple times throughout the day. I have followed all the steps online, reseting the hub but still no success.

Tested connection with only 1 device 

I have ran speed tests with only 1 device connected, speeds have been stable but some latancy 

Cabled connection works fine, all devices on wifi are having issues 

Wifi has a weak signal, changed wifi channel but no difference. Router sits in the centre of a small flat.

Router has been rebooted multiple times and reset

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermitent Wifi Connection

Modem mode with your own router or mesh system it is then 🙂

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Yes we considered that option. But it is a small flat so we shouldn't be experiencing this many issues

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A small flat surrounded by many others broadcasting their SSID's and electrical equipment will probably have far more wifi issues than say, a modern build detached.

You haven't said - what Hub model is it?

EDIT: Just noticed you are "Gamer" - does that mean you are connecting gaming devices over wifi?  If so, my lad is a serious internet gamer who thinks wifi is the work of Satan and should never be used for gaming. Ethernet cabling your devices is always the best way to go if you can.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's a fair point! The wifi signal was fine until 2 weeks ago. A lot worse this week especially when working from home

It's the Hub 3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Gamer wrote:

The wifi signal was fine until 2 weeks ago. A lot worse this week especially when working from home

So something out with you control around you has probably changed ~2 weeks ago.  Have you noticed many new SSID's appearing since then  - when you scan for them on an App?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gamer, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your WIFI looked into, I am sorry you're having this problem. Being a gamer myself I absolutely understand the frustration. I have already taken the time to look into your services on my side and cannot see any outstanding problems.
I would like to ask a few questions and get you to do some things so we can try to work out what the root cause is. 
Would you first let me know where the WIFI is weakest please?
Secondly, is the issue slow speeds over WIFI or intermittent drop outs? 
Third, when a problem does occur, are there any lights on the HUB that could indicate a problem? 
Would you be able to use the Connect App to scan your home for any dead spots please? If it identifies anything it may suggest getting boosters. Let me know what you find out. 
Thanks,
Megan_L

0 Kudos