cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent Wifi Pods

Calum2020
Joining in

Hi,

I get next to no internet in attic or temperamental at best if I do, multiple devices Laptop / iPhone / PS5. Speeds of 1mbps or lower and signal  strength never over 40/50%, I can't move router from where it is or run a wired connection that far.

Wifi pods seem like they would resolve the issue but from reading on here looks like they have been out of stock for ever and its getting to point it seems better just to buy my own or change provider.

Can anyone recommend a couple mesh network alternatives ?

Thanks

Calum

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pods are not a great solution if you have to pay for them.

the best and simplest solution is to install a wireless access point and to run an ethernet cable up there and connect a WAP. You say you "cant" -- perhaps give it some "creative" thought 🙂

You could run cable outside from the Hub and slip the cable under the soffits or through an "airbrick". Or internally with flat cable between carpet and skirts and into the attic via your access hatch/stairs.

But if thats not possible... have you considered powerline adapters? My lad uses a pair for his gaming computer/consoles and they work great. Ones with inbuilt Wifi are available too. And offer a simple solution for a single location issue.

The only potential issue is that the electrical circuits have to be connected in the same fuse box/CU - are yours? Up and Down ring mains usually are - but when conversions get wired in by a sparks - they often put a separate circuit in (easies to do) in which case its a non-starter. Do you know how the attic is wired? Or you could try one unit in the up bedroom immediately below the point in the attic.

We can make recommendations for Mesh systems too - depending on what you want from one and the budget

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pods are not a great solution if you have to pay for them.

the best and simplest solution is to install a wireless access point and to run an ethernet cable up there and connect a WAP. You say you "cant" -- perhaps give it some "creative" thought 🙂

You could run cable outside from the Hub and slip the cable under the soffits or through an "airbrick". Or internally with flat cable between carpet and skirts and into the attic via your access hatch/stairs.

But if thats not possible... have you considered powerline adapters? My lad uses a pair for his gaming computer/consoles and they work great. Ones with inbuilt Wifi are available too. And offer a simple solution for a single location issue.

The only potential issue is that the electrical circuits have to be connected in the same fuse box/CU - are yours? Up and Down ring mains usually are - but when conversions get wired in by a sparks - they often put a separate circuit in (easies to do) in which case its a non-starter. Do you know how the attic is wired? Or you could try one unit in the up bedroom immediately below the point in the attic.

We can make recommendations for Mesh systems too - depending on what you want from one and the budget

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Calum2020,

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I can see that you have been given excellent advice from @jbrennand.

Has this helped you make a decision? 

Please let us know.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide