cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent WiFi Pods

darkfantasy220
Tuning in

I got my Intelligent WiFi Pod today and set it up as per instruction.

Now it says it can take up to 24 hours for it to work as intended.
But I want to know what it looks like on the Virgin Media Connect App and the Hub web page.
What kind of problem could I expect from it?

I just want some more information on what I'm expected to see if its working as intended and what it looks like if its not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Pod's light will flash green quickly whilst it sets up and optimises your Wi-Fi. No lights show when the Pod is working properly. The first set up may take slightly longer if any firmware updates are downloaded. Your devices will automatically connect within around 10 minutes.

The Pod forms a mesh system when used with the Hub 3 and Hub 4. It won't show in your Hub's browser settings when accessing 192.168.0.1

Pods are linked to your Hub via its MAC address and only VM can link/unlink them. They're best placed between your Hub and the area experiencing poor signal.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model do you have? The Connect App only works on the Hub3.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have the hub 3.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Pod's light will flash green quickly whilst it sets up and optimises your Wi-Fi. No lights show when the Pod is working properly. The first set up may take slightly longer if any firmware updates are downloaded. Your devices will automatically connect within around 10 minutes.

The Pod forms a mesh system when used with the Hub 3 and Hub 4. It won't show in your Hub's browser settings when accessing 192.168.0.1

Pods are linked to your Hub via its MAC address and only VM can link/unlink them. They're best placed between your Hub and the area experiencing poor signal.

nleaney
Dialled in

Let us know your experience.  I currently have a Netgear R7800 which I'm relatively happy with but was considering upgrading to a Mesh set up. The Pods might just save me a little expense (if they work as advertised)

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@nleaney wrote:

Let us know your experience.  I currently have a Netgear R7800 which I'm relatively happy with but was considering upgrading to a Mesh set up. The Pods might just save me a little expense (if they work as advertised)

If they're to save you money, then presumably they'll be free within your package.  In that case get some ordered, and see how they work, given that your needs may differ from the OP's.  If they work well, keep them.  If they have any peculiarities that irritate then return them - and you can do that at any time, I believe, so there's not a problem of a product return window or cooling off period.  Bear in mind that for optimal pod performance you have to leave all hub wifi settings on the defaults and hope these work with your equipment, and trust VM not to do anything unhelpful through firmware updates.   

If they're not free within your package, then renting two pods costs "only" a tenner a month, and avoids the outlay on a mesh setup, but in ten months that would be the cost of buying outright a fully fledged entry level mesh system, after which you're going to be worse off by ten quid each month.  If value for money is important then there's no sense in renting them.  Even renting a single pod would be the same cost over twenty months as a far superior three unit mesh system bought outright.

For some people, the "integrated with the hub, leave it all to us" and single supplier proposition of the pods can be inherently attractive, and the prospect of an ongoing rental charge they may see as not a worry.  For those people, the pods are a sound choice even if rented, but if you've previously chosen to buy your own router and run the hub in modem mode, it seems improbable that you'd fit into that group?

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @darkfantasty220. 

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm glad to see the Community was able to advise you on our Intelligent Wi-Fi pods. 

How are things since posting? Are the pods performing as they should? 

If you're having any issues, please find how to troubleshoot here

Thanks,

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

It seems to be going ok with the pods, my gf had some issues with a internet speed, my 360mb + compered to her 2mbs, but not sure if that was to do with the vpn she was connect to for work or not.

I did move it to the next room that was directly below the router and the attic where she works.
Everything seems to be fine, but only time will tell.

But been reading about this volt that o2 and virgin media are doing that will give me up to 3 extra pods plus a higher speed on my internet and double data on my mobile phone, so will have to look at getting an extra pod just so that she's got the strongest signal possible in the attic as well as the ability to use a Ethernet cable.

Hi darkfantasy220, 

Thanks for coming back to us to update us on this. 🙂 

We're glad things seem to have improved for you. To check if you qualify for any Volt upgrades, you can check this here. Just click the relevant option and sign in to reveal any offers available to you. 

Let us know how you get off and if you need anything else, you know where we are.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs