cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent WiFi Pods and Gig1

DinoParry
Dialled in

Hi There,

I have a couple of intelligent wifi pods (free with my package) and gig1.  The problem I have is that the pods max out at about 350Mb so I never really realise the gig1 potential.  It also makes LAN file transfers slow.

I see that Plume now does wifi 6 pods.  

Are there any plans for Virgin to release these to customers?

Thanks,

Deano

18 REPLIES 18

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've no idea, but would imagine they will in future, and possibly at extra cost to differentiate between the two pods.?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DinoParry

Thanks for your post 

That max out speed seems a bit off to us 

I have asked the question about the Pods Specifications and will get back to you on here as soon as I have an answer

What speed do you get on stand alone wifi?

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the response.

On standalone WiFi just using the hub 4 I get around 450-500mbps average download and 45-50mbps upload speeds.

The specs for the "free virgin" pods on plumes website say they max out at 350mbps.

I have ordered some new virgin/plume WiFi 6 pods which are due to arrive this week which will boost that up to around 850mbps from the independent reviews I've seen.

The reason for needing the pods in the first place is because the hub 4 and my home office are at completely opposite ends of the house and the hub 4 WiFi doesn't reach that far.

Thanks,

Dean

Do please let us know how you get along with the new pods @DinoParry, and we'll be on hand to assist you if you require any further assistance

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David,

I received and setup the new pods last night.  They took a few minutes to settle down (while they auto adapted to get the best configuration).  I gave them the same ssid and password as the existing wifi on the hub and then switched off the wifi on the hub.

I have to say that the difference is amazing.  I am now getting just under 940mbps down (939.79 mbps on the last speedtest) and 51mpbs upload.  My phone connects at 1.2gbps on Wifi 6.

Regards,

Dean

Where did you purchase the WiFi 6 pods from thanks 

Hi Treble1,

I got them from here:

https://get.plume.com/virginmedia/

I also googled and found the following promo code to get them even cheaper: DEREKG0726

Hope this helps,

Dean

Thank you I was also looking for a Black Friday code or similar 

Zebedee1969
Joining in
Basically the pods are a bit of a con, if you have the pods you have to have the 2.4G Wi-Fi turned on, so it connects everything to the 2.4G as opposed to the 5G so slows down the Wi-Fi connection significantly to anything connected via the pod. I previously used BT whole house hubs which operated on 5G and had much faster connections….. when i connect to my 1Gbps now, I’m lucky if I get 200mbps