cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intelligent WiFi Pod and Ethernet Cable

zmather7
Joining in

Hi,

I am waiting delivery of an Intelligent Wifi Pod and I am just thinking of the best place for it.  I have a number of deadspots throughout my home due to glass and thick walls interfering with the WiFi signal.

My router is currently in the middle of my house (kitchen) leading to deadspots at the end of the living room 2 rooms away.  I am thinking one needs to go by the door to the living room which should solve this problem.

However, I also have an office at the end of the garden which has a dummy router and internet access provided by ethernet cables.  The WiFi from the router doesnt not reach the office unless backdoor of house and office door are both open.  Once closed, we go back to 3g on mobiles (Laptop still works due to ethernet connection) I have a spare Ethernet port in the office and wondered if it would be worth getting a second wifi pod and connecting it to the dummy router to give me wifi in the office.

Has anyone done this before or could provide and recommendations on the best way to proceed?

Thanks

Zac 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What do you mean by "dummy router". If you just put a good quality wireless access point on the end of the ethernet cable you will get full speed wifi and ethernet connectivity in there.  Add another in any other position in the house as long as its connected to the Hub by ethernet

Summat like this used in Access Point Mode

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What do you mean by "dummy router". If you just put a good quality wireless access point on the end of the ethernet cable you will get full speed wifi and ethernet connectivity in there.  Add another in any other position in the house as long as its connected to the Hub by ethernet

Summat like this used in Access Point Mode

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

the 'Dummy router' might be the wrong phrase by me.  The person I bought the house off used that phrase and I don't know enough to correct it.  It is a NetgearGS108T:-

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch (GS108T) - Managed, with 1 x PD port, Optional Insight ...

Looking at it now, it just seems like a splitter?  I have 1 cable coming from the house then 6 other ports which equate to the 6 available ethernet ports in the office.

Would the TP Link router you kindly linked me to earlier work this way?  Would the different WiFi signal interfere with the wired connections do you know?

Thanks again and sorry for the questions.  I have very little understanding of all this on top of just plugging everything in and expecting it to work!

Cheers

Zac

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's a managed "switch" its a bit OTT for any normal user's needs as you are managing the connections - whereas a dumb straightforward one is sufficient. For simplicity I would just replace it with an "unmanaged" one - get one with more ports if you need them.  

Others might say - if its working ok - just leave it as is 🙂

Then just plug any wireless access point (like the one above) into that Switch and all will be fine. As long as it is set to be in access point mode. 

Or TBH a WAP only device is easier to set up - that is plug and play. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/

If you dont mind slower wifi speeds in there (limited to 100mbps) then there are some good cheaper ones that only have 10/100 ports rather than 1GB ones - such as...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA901N-Wireless-Injector-Ethernet/dp/B087MSF7BR/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Agree with John, and I would replace the managed switch the wireless access point as it will give an addition 4 ethernet ports anyway. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good call Adduxi. If you meed more ethernet ports than provided on the WAP you can just add another unmanaged switch onto one of its ports. 4-8 port variants with GB ports will only be ~£15

Just to add, VM  Pods are only free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not… you will be charged £5/month you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever - like the ones we are discussing on here.

--------------------
John
--------------------