Menu
TobyTyler77
Superfast
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Intelligent WiFi Disappointed.

I set my Hub3 to the optimise intelligent WiFi setting, then I watched my Samsung 4k UHD Smart TV on YouTube and Facebook Watch apps, the TV worked well before and upscaled videos to near enough 1080p quality, but once I'd set the Hub to Intelligent WiFi the TV was struggling and the quality was nowhere near what I've been used to, am I doing something wrong, or is the Intelligent WiFi not so smart as we are led to believe, I'm on 200mbps by the way, anyone got any advice, thanks.  

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intelligent WiFi Disappointed.

On the info provided it is possible that there's other causes of lower quality wifi connection, and that the problem may be unrelated to the wifi element.

Having said that, the Hub 3 was launched in 2016 (and probably specified a good eighteen months earlier) so as a piece of tech kit it is well behind the times.  Moreover, it has always struggled due to its low specification, so the idea that an app on our phones can magically enhance the mediocre performance obviously started in Virgin Media's marketing department after a long pub lunch.  With no beam forming or steerable antenna, I can't  see anyway that the Intelligent wifi app can make any worthwhile difference to the Hub 3.  The only reason VM are doing this is that VM's hub is being overtaken by BT's "Complete Wifi" offer, amongst others.  Replacing five million cable hubs with something decent is expensive, so far better for VM to launch an app that claims to sort it all out for you...and if it doesn't work, it must be the customers fault.

I'd say disable the "Intelligent Wifi", turnoff the VM hotspot* (that's in "My Virgin Media", not the hub settings), turn off guest wifi if you don't need it*, read all the pink sticky posts in this forum on optimising your wifi, and that will be as good as you'll get it.  If that's adequate, great.  If not then you need to consider either a mesh wifi system (£150-200), or if you can run a network cable to somewhere closer to the TV, putting in a cheap router (or even an old ISP hub) in wireless access point mode.  Plenty of posts round here discussing mesh wifi, and setting up a wireless access point, although you'll need to use Google to find them as the VM forum search engine appears to be powered by a spare Hub 3.

Sorry if that's not very helpful, but that's how I see things.

* These two aren't magic fix-alls, but given the low spec of the Hub 3, why give it more work to do than it has to?

sjholland
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have noticed a difference since the intelligent wifi was rolled out.
The maximum speed I was getting on my Ipad using speedtest was previusly about 250mbs . I am now getting up to 350 mbs when sitting in the same room as hub.
I guess that this is because the hub automatically switches to the 5 GHz frequency.
0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@sjholland wrote:
I have noticed a difference since the intelligent wifi was rolled out.
The maximum speed I was getting on my Ipad using speedtest was previously about 250mbs . I am now getting up to 350 mbs when sitting in the same room as hub.
I guess that this is because the hub automatically switches to the 5 GHz frequency.

....that could just be luck that sometimes you're getting 350mb!! 

Your Hub 3 should be pumping out both 2.5 Ghz and 5 GHz frequencies and connected devices should be able to pick up both frequencies too. It's a given that the closer you are to your Hub, the faster the connection will be....

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Intelligent Wifi is a marking gimmick and it can't possibly know what is using the 2.5/5ghz channels. It is pointless. VM want you to use it but until they give me a good reason why and how it works proving that it has the ability to ddo what they claim turn it off and pick the channel manually.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
Intelligent Wifi is a marking gimmick and it can't possibly know what is using the 2.5/5ghz channels. It is pointless. VM want you to use it but until they give me a good reason why and how it works proving that it has the ability to ddo what they claim turn it off and pick the channel manually.

...really?

I am sure when I last used my app, it showed all the currently connected devices and which channel each device was using (unless I imagined it!!)....?!

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

did it also show you every Video sender, Bluetooth, Microwave, Plasma TV, baby monitor, Cordless phone and any number of things that are not wifi.

Did it also tell you how many other networks you had and the number of devices using other networks as well as the ulitzation.

its not a spectrum analizer so it can't do what it claims to

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
deans6571
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:

Did it also tell you how many other networks you had and the number of devices using other networks as well as the ulitzation.

....well actually, yes - it did show both my networks and which devices were connected to which network.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

it did not tell you everyone i listed that you need to know for it to know the best channel

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:

With "Band Steering" included in the Intelligent WiFI - I hope it knows something about what is connected on what Channels 😂

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos