forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
louij2
Up to speed
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Intel Puma 5 / 6 / 7 issues

https://badmodems.com/
A whole website dedicated to how terrible the Chip Puma is... WHY VM do you not see that this IS a problem! "TRADITIONAL PING DOES NOT DETECT THE ISSUE" Why deploy the new Gigabit service with the SAME PROBLEM!!! Why not release a statement on the issue? Why not change to Broadcom chips that do not have the issue and why not allow consumers to use their own Modems?

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intel Puma 5 / 6 / 7 issues

The Intel workaround for the Puma chipset issues on the Hub 3 was implemented about two years ago, and works well, so I'm not sure why you're making a big issue of this?

Granted, if I'd been making the choice, the Hub 4 would not have used an Intel processor simply because the whole debacle has damaged trust in Intel, but for that matter my ideal Hub 4 would have offered better capabilities in other areas that aren't related to Intel, like fully automated on-board speed and performance testing, automated "dial home" (linked to pro-active fault fixing by the field operations team), and have modern wifi capabilities like Wifi 6, and mesh compatibility with a competent manufacturer's range.

But none of that has happened, so both you and I have a choice at out next contract renewal.  Personally I'm pleased to see the acceleration of the Openreach FTTP roll out - with a bit of luck I'll soon have an alternative to VM's ageing DOCSIS technology.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
louij2
Up to speed
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I hear the the 940Mbps limitation on the Hub4 is because of the Puma chip. I am also waiting for a competitor and will jump to whoever can offer me gigabit first.
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@louij2 wrote:
I hear the the 940Mbps limitation on the Hub4 is because of the Puma chip. ....snip

And where did you hear that from?

0 Kudos
louij2
Up to speed
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

On here
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm intrigued....what purposes do you have for the internet that will both use a gigabit of bandwidth, and where those allegedly missing 60 Mbps will make any difference?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@louij2 wrote:
On here

Ah so just some random speculation with no firm backing or evidence then?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@louij2 wrote:
I hear the the 940Mbps limitation on the Hub4 is because of the Puma chip. I am also waiting for a competitor and will jump to whoever can offer me gigabit first.

The Hub 4 itself will hit 1Gbps between the Hub and Virgin Media. You can see this by going to www.samknows.com/realspeed from any device connected to the Hub 4.

There is a wired port limit as each port of the Hub 4 is Gigabit Ethernet, so a single connection wired test will always be lower. Once Ethernet overheads are taken into account, that's where the 940Mbps speed comes from. It's not a Puma chip-set thing at all.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So @BenMcr are you saying the problem is the actual switch chip within the Hub4?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
louij2
Up to speed
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

So they are not normal Gigabit Ethernet ports on the Hub4? Normal ports are capable of 1000Mbps that's why I thought its the Chip

0 Kudos