cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a new line for a second modem

R4YMAN10110
Tuning in

Basically my question is if I already have a router/modem with sky and I want to get a second modem/router with virgin do I need a new internet line ran in from the cabinet in the street to my house and if so how much do virgin charge to do this and how do I set this up for my install in the coming weeks?

i need a second modem separate to the sky one and not connected to each other via Ethernet as the sky modem is on the bottom floor whereas I want my second modem with virgin to be in the loft so that it can be dedicated to my PC 

8 REPLIES 8

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You can certainly have a separate connection and modem from Virgin because their network is entirely separate from Openreach that Sky uses.

If there has never been a Virgin service at your address then a new cable will be run in from the road as part of a broadband contract. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

One more question though because I have had a virgin connection before and still have the socket but I’m unsure as to whether or not this socket is already a separate cable from the street but is that what you mean when you say their network is different? Does that mean that virgin would have already ran a separate cable in if they previously had a modem in my house? However if that’s not the case and the line I have currently with sky is simply what virgin used to be and a new cable needs to be run in then how much would this cost and how would I go about telling the engineer beforehand so that he or her can come ready for the install and have the job done with no obstruction of a lack of info from me? 

Your old Virgin cable is a coaxial one and very different from the copper pair you are using for Sky.  They do not use the same cables from the street, or even the same cabinet.

If you want a Virgin connection you will need to buy a new 18month broadband contract. Virgin will check if they have a record of the previous connection and you can choose to be sent the modem to connect to the existing socket, or if you want it somewhere else you can have a manned installation and choose where you want the modem to be put.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi @R4YMAN10110 ,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here, welcome to the community. It is great that you are considering joining us.

As mentioned above all of our cabling is totally separate from sky. So the cable you have from a previous virgin installation is currently redundant and will be reused to supply your service. We can either install your new hub on the existing socket in the house or we can run a new cable from the box on the outside of your house to a new location of your choice. 

There are no additional installation charges other than our current install/activation fees advertised on our website.

Thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

and one other thing - VM will not install the hub in your loft - if thats where the connection is now and all the cables are good then you will be ok - connect the hub - activate it and it should work

if its not to the loft they will not install above the 1st floor

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you @-tony- , that is almost correct.

Our  installers are permitted to work to a night of 5 meters and can access lofts provided it is safe to do so. Normally this means boarded and lit. Each install is different and risk assessed at that time. We will always try to meet a customers personal requirements where it is safe to install.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

If that’s the case then yeah 100% my loft has been converted to an ensuite now and Is my room/office currently like any other room in the house so would that now make it possible for a hub to be connected there instead? If the conditions of said loft were like any of the other rooms in the house or even better to be honest?

Hi @R4YMAN10110 ,

provided there is a route to run a cable and it is safe to do so then it shouldn’t be an issue. Our installers would not lift roof tiles to get cables out though.