cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation issue

George993
Tuning in

Just had virgin media engineer turn up at my door saying that has there has been a mess up and someone hasn’t installed a cable they are not able to install my services today. Does this mean I can get the automatic compensation? Feel a bit let down by VM as they even came a did a site survey a couple weeks ago.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@George993 wrote:

Just had virgin media engineer turn up at my door saying that has there has been a mess up and someone hasn’t installed a cable they are not able to install my services today. Does this mean I can get the automatic compensation? Feel a bit let down by VM as they even came a did a site survey a couple weeks ago.

Refer below for the rates

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

and the OFCOM doc which is clearer (but the rates quoted are out of date)

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

Refer to para 9 in the OCOM doc. Then find your past comm's from VM where it refers to an installation date where the technician is due to install and activate your equipment and services. That is the date you start the compensation clock from. If that matches with the tech visit today, then today is when you start counting from at £5.25 per day.

No excuse whatsoever for not paying if they have even surveyed in advance of the installation day (and yet still managed to fail to install).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@George993 wrote:

Refer below for the rates

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

and the OFCOM doc which is clearer (but the rates quoted are out of date)

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

Refer to para 9 in the OCOM doc. Then find your past comm's from VM where it refers to an installation date where the technician is due to install and activate your equipment and services. That is the date you start the compensation clock from. If that matches with the tech visit today, then today is when you start counting from at £5.25 per day.

No excuse whatsoever for not paying if they have even surveyed in advance of the installation day (and yet still managed to fail to install).

Thanks for your help, will be on the case if I don’t get the compensation.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@George993 wrote:

Thanks for your help, will be on the case if I don’t get the compensation.

Have a good read through the OFCOM doc so you understand how the compensation scheme works and what the entitlements are and how/when/if you get paid. VM can sometimes become a bit 'confused' in how the scheme should be applied when it comes to actually paying out.

Also have a good read through some of the many 'delayed cable installation' topics on the 'Quick Start' forum which will give you a good idea of how VM operates in some of these cases.

If you still have a broadband service from another provider, the usual advice on here is to try to keep that going and overlap with VM once you get VM installed and it is working as you want it (if that is an affordable/feasible option for you). VM should not charge you until your services are activated so typically that would be a few weeks overlap. If you become one of the unlucky customers with a delayed installation, that way you would avoid being without any service while waiting for VM, especially with the Xmas period approaching.

We do have talktalk, but was wondering about cancelling as vm has sent a mobile wifi thing

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@George993 wrote:

We do have talktalk, but was wondering about cancelling as vm has sent a mobile wifi thing

Well, without wishing to alarm you too much, VM doesn't seem to send out the mobile dongles that often based on past topics on here. See message #5 from the topic below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Installation-at-new-house-and-customer-se...

so the fact they have already given you one might be a bit ominous!

The OFCOM doc mentions a mobile dongle at para 36 to 39 as an alternative to paying compensation but if VM are not going to pay compensation then they have to issue a 'Cease Notice' and they can't do that until 30 days after the compensation was meant to start (which you seem to suggest was today) and then a further 30 days beyond that. However, VM applies a whole bunch of random behaviour and actions as far as cable installations and compensation goes (some of which does not follow the OFCOM requirements) so anything could happen.

What has VM offered you ref the wireless dongle? Is it free of charge/to use and are there any data limits on it?

If VM has told you it is free to use, and won't cost you anything if you use it, have you tried the wireless dongle device? Those who have had one have mentioned it only providing basic functionality/speed when using it. Could you make do using that for an extended period if you had to. Keeping the TalkTalk connection might well be a wise move if it does turn out you are going to be in for a long wait.

Hiya,

Wifi dongle is a Huawei Mobile Wifi 3S.

They have told me it has 200GB of data and they top it up when needed, no charges.

I am currently using my talktalk, but seeing as it’s costing me 45 quid a month not sure whether to cancel it 🤷.

If VM will give me the 5.25 a day then will defo stick with talktalk till engineer comes.

Did have a look at the link you sent.

Doesnt look very promising if it’s going to take over 8 weeks!

What is strange though is my previous scheduled ‘go live’ date was 24th november. They cancelled this to do a site servey which is when they sent me the dongle. Then was penciled in for 3rd December. So maybe they knew it was a cable job?? Not a very promising start from VM to me.. 

After looking at some other forums, doesn’t look like i’ll be up and running soon, probably not even this year. 

Seems that Virgin is swings and roundabouts.

Also seen a lot that I would have to personally contact VM for my compensation. 

Hey George993,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your installation, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L