cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instagram issues While On Wifi

anoopm2412
Tuning in

Hi, 

I’m currently on Virgin media fibre optic internet on 100mbps plan. But, the problem is everytime when i try instagram , the app is really slow that it won’t even open videos and posts. All other websites and app works completely ok. The speed when i checked is showing 108mbps. When i change to the Mobile data, then it start working perfectly without even a single connectivity issue. It’s clearly indicating a broadband issue for some of the social media apps. Please someone recommend a solution. Thanks Anoop

88 REPLIES 88

RichU
Joining in

I've found a fix that's worked for me.

1. Log into your hub  192.168.0.1  and password on bottom of the hub

2. Go into Advanced Settings --> Wireless Signal

3. Click checkbox to Disable 5 Ghz (leaving 2.4 GHz enabled)

4. Click checkbox to Disable Channel Optimization

Give it a minute and then close instagram and re-start.

Enjoy.

I did this and it worked, but now the issue has returned?!  My WiFi settings are still the same, but the instagram issues have returned.  Everything is just painfully slow to load, or doesn't load, but as soon as I switch to 4G it loads like lightening!  What's going on Virgin?!

jalaldevil
On our wavelength

Has anyone found a work around, 2 months in with Virgin Media and this problem has been persistent on Snapchat, Instagram and Facebook. Only work around is using 4G on all our mobile phones. Bonkers.

We're all on iPhones, so not sure if this affects Android phones.

Disable the social media blocking in your Child Safe settings

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

We have no child safe settings... 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes you do... Log onto your VM account on the website and it sits (Websafe) in the "My Apps" section on the toolbar at the top.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

axmatt
On our wavelength

Nope, has never been on; there's no kids in here either so has never been an activated feature. It's VM traffic shaping. Shocking.

axmatt
On our wavelength

@jbrennand wrote:

Yes you do... Log onto your VM account on the website and it sits (Websafe) in the "My Apps" section on the toolbar at the top.

Just in case you wonder what my console looks like:

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 14.32.47.png

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 14.32.57.png

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@axmatt wrote:

Nope, has never been on; there's no kids in here either so has never been an activated feature. It's VM traffic shaping. Shocking.

Sorry to be-labour the point.. Have you actually looked in there recently?  VM seem to auto-activate it on new accounts so you actively have to turn it off.  I have also seen one or two say that for some unknown reason it has become switched on again even though they were adamant they turned it off yonks ago.  Worth a quick look if you didn't 😎

VM dont do traffic shaping - at least of that sort - its far too complicated - it may be some feature on your own router (if you use one) or some software on the device(s) you use limiting access.   It does seem a common feature for Instagram though judging by the number of posts on this thread!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

axmatt
On our wavelength

@jbrennand wrote:

@axmatt wrote:

Sorry to be-labour the point.. Have you actually looked in there recently?  VM seem to auto-activate it on new accounts so you actively have to turn it off.  I have also seen one or two say that for some unknown reason it has become switched on again even though they were adamant they turned it off yonks ago.  Worth a quick look if you didn't 😎

VM dont do traffic shaping - at least of that sort - its far too complicated - it may be some feature on your own router (if you use one) or some software on the device(s) you use limiting access.   It does seem a common feature for Instagram though judging by the number of posts on this thread!

Yes, I posted the screen grabs but they're still being reviewed by VM's admins; see above.