cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instagram issues While On Wifi

anoopm2412
Tuning in

Hi, 

I’m currently on Virgin media fibre optic internet on 100mbps plan. But, the problem is everytime when i try instagram , the app is really slow that it won’t even open videos and posts. All other websites and app works completely ok. The speed when i checked is showing 108mbps. When i change to the Mobile data, then it start working perfectly without even a single connectivity issue. It’s clearly indicating a broadband issue for some of the social media apps. Please someone recommend a solution. Thanks Anoop

88 REPLIES 88

This topic is marked as resolved but I don’t actually see the fix here? Are Virgin really suggesting we remove the firewall just to use Instagram on our phones?

Or have I missed the actual fix somewhere?

Alexj17
Tuning in

Anything? Again, how can this post be answered when the suggestion is remove firewall? Can anyone at virgin clarify this?

callum929
On our wavelength

Thought it was something wrong with my phone. Been suffering these issues on instagram for ages now. None of the fixes have worked for me!

God I am so relieved I am not the only one out there losing my mind and frustration with virgin media. Recently joined a few months ago and had nothing but trouble, my main issue that I have been trying to get sorted for some time now is Instagram, it just will not load and perform how it should whilst connected to wifi, soon as I connect to 4G it’s like BOOOM everything now works and things instantly start loading. I have had to up my 4g allowance just to be able to use Instagram at home it’s crazy. I have spoke to virgin on numerous occasions about this issue, I’ve had “ok we have adjusted your wifi settings now your wifi will be better” erm ok nothing changed here. “Well if your other devices are connecting to wifi fine and loading other apps and web pages it is not our issue and it must be an issue with your phone or instagram” erm ok just start doing something about this issue I am going to have to leave virgin media soon if this isn’t resolved I’m sick of having to disable wifi on my phone when I am at home and I pay for it. 

Hi Danny, 

Yes there are a number of threads on this. I’m not sure what the next step is to get this escalated and dealt with as it appears to be being ignored. 

There appears to be a widespread issue with Instagram on the SuperHub 3.

Some commons fixes include:

1) Disabling Smart WiFi (didn’t work for me)

2) Disabling the Firewall (I don’t feel comfortable compromising the security of my network and shouldn’t be forced into this)

I really can't believe Virgin are suggesting disabling your firewall as a solution to load Instagram. That's just ridiculous and it seems like a get out of jail free card for them. They offer this solution(which isn't guaranteed and could cause more long term harm in the future) and believe they've fixed it? I can see multiple threads on this issue but yet to find an actual solution that's guaranteed. Disappointing to say the least 

axmatt
On our wavelength

This is still on-going; my wife is never off my back about this issue... "why are we paying £100 a month for this"

To be clear - Instagram via browser = OK, via App on iOS or Andriod - NO.

@virgin what's the issue - to me it looks like you're rate limiting which wouldn't be legal now, would it? I can 100% confirm, from 2 iOS devices with the latest version of Instragram and an Andriod device with the same, that Instagram is being rate limited while connected to Virgin's network. The second all three devices come off of the wifi and over to cellular, content across all three loaded right away.

Stories is the ovbious one - connected to the Virgin network, hardly work over the app; on cellular, right away. Across EE, Vodafone and funnily enough Virgin Mobile (which I know is EE but still).

Marking this as resolved was wrong Virgin - it needs escalated or reported for failing to adhere to the very basics of net neutrality rules.

I’ve been struggling with this issue for months now so I’m over the moon that it’s not just my phone that’s causing the problem...

I’ve had the Instagram issue for ages, which mainly affects stories and multiple picture posts from loading on WiFi. Absolutely no problems on 4G. However, tonight I started experiencing the same problem with Twitter and Facebook too. 

Prior to finding this thread, I deleted all three apps, re-installed them and then attempted to log in again. I got an error message on all three saying I couldn’t be signed in (Instagram said ‘Async socket exception: socket closing after error’ and Twitter said ‘error 10’) Turned off WiFi and magically all three work again on 4G. 

Everything else on my phone works fine on WiFi. 

I tried the turning off Smart WiFi suggestion but that didn’t work for me. And I really don’t want to turn off the firewall!

Where does all of this leave us? There is very obviously a fault, which they don’t seem willing to address. And it really bothers me that this could have been done intentionally. What next?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Instagram works perfectly well for me on Vivid200 VM Broadband.
However, I (like many other customers) do have my Hub in modem mode and use my own wireless router to provide the wifi signals in my house.
So, that may be the long term solution, at least for those who are prepared to get their own equipment. Perfectly good wifi routers (or a router + wifi access point) can be had for £60-150 - depending on what additional features you would like it to have over the Hub3.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I don't use social media, but it seems my teenage daughter is also experiencing this issue 

This seems to be a wide spread issue and think we all need to log a case with VM to get this resolved as they are not doing anything about it.