cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instagram issues While On Wifi

anoopm2412
Tuning in

Hi, 

I’m currently on Virgin media fibre optic internet on 100mbps plan. But, the problem is everytime when i try instagram , the app is really slow that it won’t even open videos and posts. All other websites and app works completely ok. The speed when i checked is showing 108mbps. When i change to the Mobile data, then it start working perfectly without even a single connectivity issue. It’s clearly indicating a broadband issue for some of the social media apps. Please someone recommend a solution. Thanks Anoop

88 REPLIES 88

Any device which is connected to my WiFi.

friends computers, different phones etc

Thanks for confirming. 

Are you able to try a wired connection at all, see if it happens via this?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Do you mean with a cable?

I don’t want to come across rude, but why would this be any different? I cannot plug this into my phone so I can then use the app on my phone. And what when other people come round to use it?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@spallie86 wrote:

Do you mean with a cable?

I don’t want to come across rude, but why would this be any different? I cannot plug this into my phone so I can then use the app on my phone. And what when other people come round to use it?

Its a test to see whether the issue is with the VM Hub and/or its network connection - or whether your wifi environment is pants and so outwith VM control.  Read the two "pink" posts at the top of this forum board to see what you can do to improve the wifi if that is the issue and do whats below.  If you dont have a gigabit laptop ask a friend/family/neighbour around for a cuppa whilst you check it.

To check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting/paying for,  you need to do this first. Make sure your device has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers.  Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected).  Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download (e.g. Opera?).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi spallie86,

This is just to test a wired connection, see if the same issue occurs.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I don’t see how this would help, these are apps which work on portable devices over cellular and WiFi? 

When I run a speedtest on my portable device I usually get good upload and download speeds, the issue only lies with certain apps such as Instagram. 

Technical support suggested I change DNS to manual 8.8.8.8 but this didn’t solve the problem. 

It seems to be an issue with the Superhub 3 as I don’t know anyone else on a different WiFi having similar issues. 

Virgin need to accept that the Superhub 3 has many flaws instead of encouraging customers to increase there broadband speeds and paying for additional WiFi boosters. 

I was ready to cancel all of my Virgin services but after waiting over 30 mins to speak to someone I gave up!

We understand it's frustrating cbseager and the reason we ask for this is it is something that our support team would request as psrt of diagnostics to look into this further.

Rob

If it’s that essential why hasn’t the engineer that’s been to my house on two separate occasions done this???

We would send an engineer to look at overall connection issues cbseager, one wouldn't be sent to help with a WiFi Instagram issue so may not have been made aware of this at the time. Did you raise this with them during the visit?

Rob

Hi John,

I’ve seen the advice you have given my fellow virgin media subscribers and its not that helpful. I know you are trying to eliminate hardware being an issue but I really don’t think the hub has anything to do with it. Switching to a vpn on my phone and selecting a server in another country or even another part of the uk solves the issue.   Instagram loads super quickly and works like a charm. So it would appear to me it’s a problem with the virgin servers or network itself. I know that in 2017 long before I was a virgin media customer you guys accidentally blocked Facebook and instagram. Is there still some underlying issue with these sites being blocked. 

Just to reiterate what a lot has been said by other virgin media customers any other site loads well on my tablet, laptop and phones. I have about 8 devices which all connect well to the hub. It’s just instagram which is an issue. The fact I’m not the only one experiencing this issue means your technical team needs to look to investigate this further.