cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompatibility of Pods & Hub 5

Mikenwilf
Tuning in

I was encouraged to upgrade to Hub 5 in Dec '21.  Immediately started to have problems with my Boosters.  Was promised Pods instead.  Never came. Now after 4 months of having to borrow my neighbours wi-fi, and half a dozen long phone calls, I am told that Pods do not work with Hub 5 !!!  Crazy, appalling service.  Can somebody at Virgin sort this out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes a mesh is a good solution. Its easy to set up (with help on here) and modem mode is straightforward. See this old post of mine to use as a starter

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh".

again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jem101
Superstar

@Mikenwilf 

you have run headlong into the issue which at the moment stops users on the Gig One tier from having the Hub 5 - namely that currently it does not work with the pods.

The Hub 5 is still on a limited release 'trial' basis, and strictly by invitation only - nobody here knows what VM criteria are for being offered one but you were lucky (on unlucky) to get on the list. If however you already were using the pods, then this would have been a hard stop to you having been offered a 5. This might be the reason that you never received any even if you were promised them, the ordering system just put as stop on it as soon as it realised that you were a Hub 5 user. Really this should have been explained to you when you called up; but whatever!

Users on the one Gig tier or (some?) Volt customers are entitled to free pods - as a consequence they are barred from being offered a Hub 5 on the grounds that it is a bit embarrassing to a) be entitled to free equipment, and at the same time; b) said equipment won't work!

Boosters should work but there are quite a few reported issues with the Hub 5s WiFi currently not working well with some devices, so I can quite believe that it might also have real problems with some boosters as well.

Your only option is really to wait for the pods to be made compatible - could be tomorrow, next month, six months, a year? Nobody on here knows or if they do, they aren't allowed to say. The alternative is to call VM and ask for a replacement Hub 4 or 3 to be sent instead of the Hub 5 on the grounds that it isn't working for you, the term 'not fit for purpose' is often mentioned as being a phrase to use in your negotiations.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The Hub5 still has lots of issues... you are (perhaps unaware) actually testing it for them.

Call in and insist that it is nor fit for your purpose and you want the old Hub reinstating.

What package are you on - are the Pods "free" (customers on the 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages) - if not you will be paying £5/month

A VM person will respond in a day or two on here and can sort something for you - but quickr to call in

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Mikenwilf, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see you have been having issues with connecting the WIFI pods to the Hub 5. In some cases the previous hub can be reinstated but only if you still have the old equipment.

I can see you have spoken with the team since posting this, were they able to resolve this for you? 

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Just put the hub in modem mode and get your own WiFi router with 1Gb ports or you go mad and want to go to another ISP.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Nathan, I have NOT spoken with the team, but I got a msg from the Complaints dept, saying VM have sent (another) Ethernet Powerline booster/extender. (Just like the ones I already have that do not work with the Hub5).

The last VM tech person I spoke to advised me to buy my own router & satellite extenders (a 'mesh' system).  Would that work with the Hub 5?  Someone on this forum said I'd need to put the Hub5 in 'modem' mode.  How do I do that? Any recommendations on products?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes a mesh is a good solution. Its easy to set up (with help on here) and modem mode is straightforward. See this old post of mine to use as a starter

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh".

again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi John, many thanks.  I had already identified the Deco M5 or M9 plus as attractive options.  

One question though: is it OK to add these as Access Points to my existing VM Hub5? Or should I make the main Deco into the router?  I really need three access points beside the router so if I reduce the Hub5 to a modem-mode, I might need to buy a fourth Deco unit.

In the same vein, if this is not a silly question, if I am using the main Deco unit as a router, does it have to be connected to the VM Hub5 by a LAN cable? (or can it be connected wirelessly?)

cheers

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The first mesh unit has to be connected to the Hub5 by Ethernet cable, it should be in router mode and the Hub5 placed into modem mode to overcome all the shortcomings of the VM hub. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2