cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving wifi options

mikesf90
Joining in

I've posted on here before with regards to wifi and poor router placement. I'm trying to work out which would be more beneficial and which I could set up myself. Very much a novice when it comes to wifi

My options are to use the hub 3 in modem mode and use a tp link archer c80 as the router. Or use the c80 as an access point in the middle of the house. But I don't know which would be easier to do. Which would do the better job

I currently have a wifi extender plugged in the hall which is tp link. I set the same ssid as the router. But it doesn't seem to have improved. Is it because its the same ssid? Is it causing conflict? I want the same ssids because I don't want devices to be stuck on a poor wifi signal if I call the extender a different ssid when the router signal is stronger. If I set the hub 3 in modem mode the c80 will still be in back corner of the house so will that alone significantly improve wifi? Apologies for the lack of knowledge. The wifi extender was originally the same ssid with _ext at the end but I changed it to the exact same ssid. It may not work this way but I expect if the ssid is the same then devices will get whichever is the strongest signal. From the extender or the router

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Forget extenders

Alternatively, consider the TP-Link Deco Mesh systems with the Hub in modem mode.

A 3 pack of the M4 or S4 units can be found for less than £100. Will give greater coverage across the house and easy to set up - with a guide from on here 🙂

See this example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M4-Seamless-Coverage-Replacement/dp/B07NH1J543/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

They do look good but I have already had the archer c80 for a good year or two so I want to put it to good use. Would the extender work better for now with a different ssid? I'd set the c80 up this weekend if I knew how to set it all up. Do you think the router in modem mode and c80 as router or c80 as an access point would give better coverage? Can I have it as an access point with the same ssid or will that cause problems?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes the Archer c80 is a decent introductory router and according to the blurb - has the one range mesh range extender connectivity. Is that on the extender you have ?  If so you can buils a Mesh system

The TP-Link router wiil be far better than the Hub's - so yes - use that in modem mode with the C80 routing and then see what you need to set up a Mesh from it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The extender I have is a cheap tp link plug in wifi extender. Is it complicated to set the c80 up as a router. I want the same ssid I already have so I don't have to reconnect every device and will it automatically switch between 2.4 and 5ghz? It's when it gets onto all the channels and stuff it starts getting in depth

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this...

Switch on and set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) to have the WAN port set to be in Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port tino the VM hub (any of its port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB That you were using) so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically with the same SSID's and password

--------------------
John
--------------------