cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve my internet set up

ddshiner
Joining in

I’ve read so many posts about poor superhub3 Wi-Fi and have got to the point I need to spend some cash improving my home network set up.

I currently have the SH3 and an Ethernet switch providing several wired connections to my kids Xbox/PlayStations and smart tvs using CAT6 cables. These generally work without an issue.

the problems is the Wi-Fi side, we have dead spots in the bedrooms (small brick built bungalow) I’ve been looking at the various options of power line adaptors, extenders, mesh etc. but haven’t made the jump yet as I want to make sure I get something which it fit for our needs. 

I still will want to be able to use the 8 port Ethernet switch for Xbox and PlayStations and 3 smart tvs. 

where I’m stuck is if I use the SH3 as a modem and buy a mesh system, can I still use the switch with in this type of set up. I’ve read the ports in the super hub 3 will not work when it’s in modem mode apart from 1 port that will go to the mesh system. 

I wanted to plan how to get the set up right before purchasing anything.

appreciate any advice if anyone has had to set up anything similar?

3 REPLIES 3

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
The switch would connect to the LAN port of the mesh node or router you would connect to the hub

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

ddshiner
Joining in

Recommendations for equipment, im going to purchase a new Ethernet switch, not sure which Wi-Fi mesh kit to purchase

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Get a PoE switch and use PoE access points on the ceilings.  As you are in a bungalow it’s should be an easy win. These look like smoke alarms and need no power sockets as they are powered over the Ethernet cables. It’s what I use in my bungalow. I have located one at each end of the property. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks